Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
eugenedrago

Briggs model 19 compression ring end gap

eugenedrago
I can't seem to find the end gap tolerances for Briggs model 19. My understanding or rule of thumb is that you take .004 inches times the bore diameter (3 in. in this case) for the minimum end gap of the top ring. Respectively .005 times the bore diameter (3 in. in this case) for the minimum end gap of the bottom ring. If this is correct I am getting that I should have .0012 minimum end gap for the top ring and .0015 for the bottom ring. My top ring end gap is 69 thou and the bottom ring was 48 thou. I think this could explain the oil I saw "pooling" on top to the piston when I pulled the head yesterday. Maybe this was the problem all along? Between the new rings, head gasket, plug, condenser, NEW COIL, and lapping the valves I am hoping I will have this finally beat. I will let you all know sometime next week if she finally works. I can't thank you all enough again for all your thoughts, ideas, and kind comments! Gene.

1Litre
.012" To .015" is ideal . You will find the gap with new rings from briggs in the correct size bore to be on the loose side like .020" or more. You can order rings individualy from Hastings and they should require file and fitting . They have all the sizes and materials on the Web site.

eugenedrago
I was thinking that .012 to .015 may be ideal for non air cooled engines. The formula I gave above was most likely for liquid cooled engines and thus closer tolerances. So I will expect 20 thou on the new rings. Thanks everybody! Gene.