Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Big Ten side pto

Old-Allis

I have an Allis Chalmers Big Ten, which was my father's, and I'm having issues with the side PTO (haven't use the tractor for a lot of years). I have no manual and had cross referenced the Simplicity Landlord 101. According to Simplicity I need to use a 1/2x35 belt. I have tried to use that size belt but when I engage the PTO the idler pulley rubs against the upper pulley. The tension spring is set to what is should be according to manual I found for adjusting the PTO. What I'm asking is there a smaller belt for the Allis Big Ten is there something missing from the PTO, or are the pulleys the wrong size?

Thanks in advanced.

are you running a 42.1" cross-drive belt to the deck. the deck and pto belt work together to get the proper adjustments. do you have the tension spring and arm that runs to the rear hitch bolt ?.

The other issue with the PTO assemblies is the early pivots did not have bushings. I had to drill and put bushings in mine to get the idler shaft to sit straight. The holes were egged almost twice as big as needed. Easy to inspect and can save a lot of chasing(and belt jumping).

quote:
Originally posted by dentwizz
The other issue with the PTO assemblies is the early pivots did not have bushings. I had to drill and put bushings in mine to get the idler shaft to sit straight. The holes were egged almost twice as big as needed. Easy to inspect and can save a lot of chasing(and belt jumping).
yes forgot that. a issue found on most older machines.

Thanks for the help from everyone. It has been awhile since I actually used the tractor and mower deck. Once I got the deck installed with the cross belt the PTO belt had the right tension.