Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
steve-wis

A bit of yard work made easy

steve-wis
Nice day today so got started on some yard work. To start with the front yard needed to be rolled. Had this roller given to me last fall and never used it so gave it a try, pulling it with the Frankenstein Yeoman......

As you can see they are redoing all the sewer, water, and gas lines on our street and then will finish it with concrete, curb, and gutters. Will be nice when done. After the rolling, I got the tiller on Frankenstein and the blade on the Allis 810GT. I had a big tree removed earlier and there is a big hump in the yard where the stump was. The project is to till it up and level it. So, got the tractors ready.....

First to till it up good.....

Then push the sod clods and rocks out and level it.....

And now drinking a coffee and relaxing,,,,been a nice afternoon! Sure is nice to have equipment to work with! Steve

steve-wis
Thanks Nick. I call that one my Frankenstein. The engine is upgraded to an 8 hp, the seat pan raised two inches to allow mounting the tiller, and the tranny swapped with a three speed because the two speed ones do not have the rear pto shaft for the tiller. It also has a hi-lo on it so I have 6 speeds forward and 2 in reverse. I have a front blade, a mower deck, and the tiller for it. I also put tri rib tires on the front and ag tires on the rear, with home made wheel weights on the rear also. And to top it off, I put an Allis Chalmers B farm tractor muffler on it, just for fun. Steve

huffy
By the way, how did the roller work? I've thought about getting one to use in the spring to fix spots where the freezing temps have caused some heaving, but I've avoided it because I can't decide if that once a year use is worth me having to store it for the rest of the year.

steve-wis
Chris, It helps a bit, but really the bigger "ride on" rollers do much better. I had 1 1/2 inches of rain on Thurs. night/Fri. morning so the ground was soft and wet. You can see my front yard is small and I rolled for about an hour. To be honest, if I hadn't gotten this one given to me I don't think I would have bought it. It does give some seat time tho! Also, this roller is filled with oil soaked sand so I can't empty it, makes it even harder to store. I back it against the fence in the back yard and raise the tongue to store it. The guy who gave it to me figured it would be heavier with oil and sand, didn't weigh it so don't know, but is is heavy! Steve

steve-wis
Greg, The 616 Yeoman didn't have a rear pto to run a tiller. It was set up to run a deck, blade, or snowblower. I picked up a three speed tranny from Tim Flury, along with the tiller. He had mounted a tiller on his Serf, I believe, which got me thinking about doing the yeoman. With the three speed tranny, I have the rear pto to drive the tiller. I had to raise the seat pan 2 inches to clear the hitch for the tiller, otherwise it all fit. Also had to make the tiller hitch part that bolts to the tractor (again thanks to tim Flury who supplied a blueprint!). It is alot of fun to play with. Have to be careful to keep the front wheels on the ground, tho! Steve

Sign in to follow this