Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

And now the "REST" of the story!!

jmhusby

This is in response to a post I had recently about replacing a blown Triad in a Sovereign that a gentleman wanted to sell me. I first want to thank all for the information I rceived from all. This is a good place to get help to resolve issues of get ideas on fixing problems. Now, back to the story-At first I decided not to proceed with purchasing the tractor cause he was asking more that I wanted to pay. He called me back later and asked if I had any more interest and I told him if he didn't sell it I would give him an amount less than he was asking and if he decided to go for it please send some pictures. Afew days later got some pictures that were taken later in the day and not too bright and message that they would take my offer. Called him back and talked and questioned him out a bought the condition of the rest of the tractor as we wanted to put a new engine in it and use it. Said everything else was in good condition and no problems. Drove down this morning (2 1/2 hours)and looked the tractor over. Questioned him about the steering wheel being worn down and the back of the tractor being bent. Come to find out his dad was hauling it on a trailer with a chain hooked on the back and not on the front. Well, it bounced off the trailer, bent the back fenders, flipped over, bent the left side wheels, and drug it down the highway upside down. Wore the steering wheel half off, bent the shaft and broke something inside as much play, and pushed the hood back on the way over. Needless to say I wasn't happy. Wouldn't take less and not sorry he didn't tell me about condition. I am still in the market for a Sovereign with power steering.wahwahwah

I can remember, barely, when you could pretty much trust a mans word. Too bad those days are gone. I have been fairly fortunate so far, probably the worst was the briggs 5 3/4 hp horizontal engine a guy had for sale.....said he didn't know how well it would run but it was all there. When I got there I found a hole big enough to shove your fist thru in the block. Oh, he didn't notice that. The carb looked usable so offered him $10 and he took it. Must have figured I wouldn't notice? Good luck on your tractor search! Steve