Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Plowing

BrendonV

How much snow will a B-10 push in the winter??? And, will the plow get ruined if you use it to push dirt in the summer??? Brendon

I have a Simplicity 2012, aka B-12. I live in southern Rhode Island. In general, our snow storms turn to rain and result in 3 to 9 inches of very wet & heavy snow. I found the snow blower seemed to really struggle with it. I was fortunate to find a plow and it does a much better job with the wet & heavy stuff. If it 's 12" and really wet, I do have a traction problem mostly with the front wheels - the angle of the plow allows the snow to push the tractor off to the side. It makes for more work which means more fun. With a lot of dry snow I'm sure the blower would be best. John(ri)

First year I had my 725 I piled snow a good 4 feet high by ramping up it, lots of fun, only droped the front tires over once, lots of diggin, trouble with plowing snow is once you get a burm built up there is no place to go with the next snow, blower time. MPH

I have a 42" plow with the spring trip feature on a 6216 16HP with big Ag tires. I have run it into mounds of snow in top gear, and plowed mountains of hard dirt and gravel with NO PROBLEMS. I'd expect the mounting bolts were it attaches to the axle to break before anything else, and that has yet to happen.

Like they've said -- this is a tough little critter. As a practical matter, though, you can plow somewhere between 6" to 8" of snow, without too much problem, assuming you have weight on the rear (wheel weights, loaded tires, counterweight, etc.) and tire chains. Traction becomes a real problem when you try to push deep snow, or real heavy, wet snow... The tractor has sufficient power -- traction is the issue. For deep snow, you're much better off using a snowblower. I've blown snow from piles and drifts that were over the hood! As far as plowing dirt goes -- there's a reason they called then snow/dozer blades... SMILE