Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New member looking for advise

Dodgeboydan

Hello everyone. My name is Dan. I just found this forum when I was digging around www.simpletractors.com. I have 1969 simplicity sovereign 3112v that I got from my grandpa, who recently passed away. I used to get rides on it with him when I was little. It has a lot of sentimental value to me. I've already begun the restoration, but I'm learning as I go. Since I am fairly new to the ins and outs of these tractors, I'm wondering if anyone has any advise as to what to look for as far as typical problems or things to look for, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks everyone!

Welcome Dan...Do you have an operators/service manual? The small square gearbox under the seat is the Bevel Gearbox (BGB). Dont let its Gear-oil level get too low. very expensive to fix. The same for the Transmission oil level. These are preaty rugged tractors...I say just keep the engine cooling fins clean of grass, etc. & new spark plug & points every so often. keep the blades sharp and balanced & keep good belts on it and other than good gas and enigine oil your good to go.dOd Good luck sm01

First off welcome to the nut house, um er clubhouse! I have 2 twins to your 3112v, they are part of the 8 that inhabit my garage. This is a very addicting habit! The things that need to be watched off the top of my head are 1) the sector gear on the steer gets loose or wears the gear particulary in the straight ahead position, 2)the bgb, that's the intermediate gear box at the end of the driveshaft. There are are a couple of things that go on here, the needle bearings in the pinion shaft wear, and the bevel gears wear creating excess backlash which can lead to gear failure. One thing that is important is to make sure your gear lube is up and in good condition, these tend to collect moisture as well. 3)the rear axle make sure your left hub is tight and not worn at the keyways on the right (diff) make sure your axle is sound at the keyways for the differential hub, check those keyways aren't worn and the hub is reasonably tight. 4) on the variable drive use a good belt when they're worn you lose the variabilty and you can have slippage also check tightness of the pulley's to their shafts. Also check the outer pulley half at the bgb they tend to oblong the 3 holes for the guides. That's about all I can think of right now. There are plenty of things that wear and need adjustment for time to time, a little tlc goes a long ways with these oldies. Now I won't tell you that you have to drop the $10 for a full club membership but if you do I think you'll get your money's worth. Oh by the way we all like to see photos so don't forget to post up some pics to look at!:D

All sound like good advise. I will try to get some pics up soon. The only known problem I had was that my grandpa ran a belt that was a bit to short on the variable sheave pulleys, so the clutch never worked right, an he was always grinding gears, which tore the trans out. I swapped it out with a known good trans from a 3012. The bgb seems to be tight. There is a small amount of on-center play in the steering, so I will check it out. I had to source another carb, because the main jet threads in the body were so corroded that the jet had become one with the housing. There are a few mismatched parts, such as one rear wheel that has the stamped center with 4 windows, and the other that is a solid center. I basically tore it down and sandblasted and repainted everything with AGCO corporate orange and white. Changed oil in the motor, bgb, and trans. I'm in the process of going through the mower deck now, as the spindle bearings and idler pulley were junk. Lots of work:D

check out these videos. part 1 of 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2cwAUP0Gjw&feature=plcp&context=C4cef9f2VDvjVQa1PpcFO8MH1KlhErqTzW1ehssBl47YNhm5fYP_c= the rest can be found here - http://www.youtube.com/user/ZippoVarga/videos?sort=dd&view=0&page=7

Thanks for the link! Those are good videos. I learned a lot just now. This Zippo fellow seems to really know his stuff. Is he a member here?

Zippos videos helped me out tons also. Welcome aboard Dan. Everything that you will need to know can be found here. Get used to using the search function on this sight. Chances are that most of your questions can be answered that way. Its easy to use. As for your tractor it sounds that you have done most of the work already. Look forward to seeing the pictures.