Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Differential differences? Wear?

dentwizz

My 64LL decided to get grindy then stopped moving forward yesterday. When I looked down, the axle and diff hub were turning(Not a tube failure as that was replaced last year). When I took it apart I expected to see blown roll pins, though there has not been any plowing to speak of this winter and it is only mowing now. Instead I found an intact but worn gear and pins, put a new gear(from stock) in and it was better but still not a strong engagement. The replacement gear was almost 1mm larger the whole way around. Question is what would cause this? Would that be more of a bushing wear on the pinions or tooth wear? I have parts for both but I would like to have a direction to look before getting it too far apart.

You may have both . If the gear was that worn what do the axle gears and other pinion gears look like that come in contact with the one you replace? The new gear may wear prematurely if the other s are that worn. The springs on the ends wear down and fatigue so you may have to replace them to get good power to both wheels.

Actually, I took it apart today and it is the early form that did not have springs(seems to grip better than the spring ones IMHO). I took some samples out to the parts washer and inspected and the results were surprising. The planetary gear teeth were worn but not badly, yet the bushings were worn distinctly. Being that my budget is not at all what it used to be or needs to be, I decided to try inverting all the bushings and rotating the gears on the shafts(placing the rotating gear on the unworn part, unworn face of the gear on the axle gear). I figured what's to loose in trying. Sure enough it worked! The Assembly survived what I could throw at it in the shop(Torrential rain outside), so hopefully it will get a few more months til the new good paying job can start paying bills.