Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs flo-jet

ReedS

Just for laughs I thought everyone might like to see this one. I was cleaning this one out, looked like I was gonna save it until I looked at it hard. Not sure if it was from water or the carb cleaner.
[img]/club2/attach/ReedS/IMG_1926a.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/ReedS/IMG_1927a.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/ReedS/IMG_1928a.jpg[/img]
I suppose I could epoxy it but I have several to chose from so it may just go back to the spare pile. Btw I love those nitrile gloves, they keep my hands so much cleaner than without them! Oh yes I forgot to mention not all carb leaks are due to faulty needle valves!

Here is something to consider. I bought a tube to keep around. Only $3.75 at most hardware stores where they have epoxies. http://www.eclecticproducts.com/sa_faqs.htm

I had thought about jb weld not sure how well it will hold up with constant immersion in gas, I also considered soldering it too. No matter what I do with it at this point, it becomes an experiment! LOL I really just wanted to show the long term effects of water on a carb! Too bad as the rest of the carb cleaned up nice, could barely move the choke butterfly at first!

Ive used Seal-All quite a bit over the years. It's never failed to stop the leaks. The first time was in the mid 80's. I had just bought a new battery for my '73 Bonneville. I didn't notice the battery tray had rotted so much that it allow the bottom of the battery to rub on a frame bolt. It put a hole in one of the cells. The hardware man suggested Seal-All. I applied it, the took it to NAPA and they refilled the cell with acid. I've used it on the 2012 gas tank, and on my '89 Eagle Premier's fuel return line. It's a great product!

I agree with Reed, put a dab of Seal-All in that hole and you'll be good to go. When I got this replacement Homelite gas tank with a good factory side exit nipple, the top seam was cracked. An ugly coat of Seal-All and it hasn't leaked a drop in over 5 years: