Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Weekend Trip John Deere G 1938

ngale65

Went to PA yesterday and picked up a 38 John Deere G. It was leaking coolant into 1 cylinder so we got it for a good price. Tore into it today and found it was just a bad head gasket, thankfully. Engine was recently overhauled and it had brand new valves. looks to have been done pretty well. just a bum head gasket. So off to the machine shop to check the head and put it back together. Its been a while since we have messed with a deere. had to bust out the big wrenches and sockets. Head nuts were 1-1/4.

That's a good looking machine with what looks like brand new tires. What size is that engine? It sure is small compared with the newer ones.

we use everything we own. :) she will be in a field plowing as soon as she is back together. I had a John Deere AR that was a perfect restoration and we took it plowing, mist of the older guys couldn't believe it. they were all concerned it we would ruin in. My response was "isnt that what it was built to do?" most of the shows we goto have tractor pulls. its almost a shame it has new pistons and a recent overhaul or i would bore it out, put in aluminum pistons and pry double the hp. kinda hard to justify that $3000 upgrade when engine is all new but stock now. oh well, in time. been looking for a nice G for 6 years. finally found 1 worth doing. Here ia a pic a couple years back. A good friend driving my "expo quality" AR with a plow. This Girl is hard core AC. she wants a D21 and her dad restored an awesome b10 for her. but she will still roll on a Deere

OK, I adjusted my glasses and see the horizontal cylinders side by side with a long stroke. Must be great torque.

quote:
Originally posted by PGL
That's a good looking machine with what looks like brand new tires. What size is that engine? It sure is small compared with the newer ones.
When new they were sold with the claim of 20.7 horsepower at the drawbar and 31.44 Horsepower at the belt pulley. They would pull a 3 bottom - 14" plow in most soils. These were a tough tractor in their day and still are. Nice looking tractor.

Those old 2 lungers had some torque! We farmed with a JD 703 diesel. Loved to hear it lug down in tough pulling and keep on puffing slowly and steadily till it came back to 1100 rpm operating speed. AR looks like one tough machine.

Nice one, Nathan. BTW the hydro I got from you is working fine. I enjoyed the trip. Where in PA were you?

was in scottsdale, pa. there and back in 1 day. left at 5am, got home at 930 pm. did get to got Cabela's in WV though. Thats always fun. i got the engine block and pistons out and at the machine shop now.

and with decking the block and oversize aluminum high compression pistons she should be somewhere over 50hp. so almost double stock. :)

Nice lookin Deere Nathan. They are neat tractors. Couldn't help to notice the "Toy" covered up behind the Deere. Want to tell us what it is?

If you goto my profile and look at my other topics that would be the 65 impala. i have a few pics under that.

Its funny. I love my HB212 and really all the B series AC garden tractors and the old orange farm tractors, but my true passion has always been the 2 cylinder john deere's. And yes i do get a lot of crap from both sides but hey what can you do. My point is since i have joined this club last year i have had the chance to meet and talk to a bunch of great people. I can put up pics of a deere and you all enjoy it. Overall just an enjoyable club and web page. However there is no such thing in the John Deere world. There are no friendly clubs. Just a bunch of[img]/club2//attach/UCD/censored.gif[/img]holes who think they are gods in the tractor world. I'm sure its the same all over the place but even the local clubs i belong to who put on our annual shows, people cant get along. I mean we all like tractors and we clearly all like playing with them and we all have a common interest, what in the[img]/club2//attach/UCD/censored1.gif[/img]makes it so hard for people to play nice. You just want to say get over yourself. Oh well, sorry to ramble on.

Thanks for sharing. Never saw the "guts" of a Deere 2 lung engine before. Thanks for those pics.

• 4 months later...
Well crap, turned into a full blown overhaul. finally got her started saturday. just need to get the hood and gas tank back on. should finally be done this week. Here are a couple pics. new pistons next to old and one running. yay

Nice tractor!!!!!!!!!! Did you bore the block? I have a 1953 70 gas that was my Grandpa's that someday I want look as nice as your G. Chris