Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

243431 briggs advice

mechanicpsyco

Finally got back on my Landlord after 10 years of it sitting in the garage. Bought as a non runner for $25. Well the carb , intake, and air cleaner are missing. Added some oil. a small shot of gas and she lit, I was really suprised. I guess my main question is; Can i still get overhaul parts, and are there any of these laying around so I can get the carb, intake and air cleaner I need. Or maybe a repower is in order. I remember when i brought it home it was a no start, both of the keepers gone off of the exhaust valve. I got one in there, didnt have a spring compressor at the time. But that did get the suck, squeeze, bang, blow chain of events back in proper order. Anyhow, just to kick it around if anyone is interested. By the way I have two 738's, and I will say one of the best mowers I have ever owned. I mow a few yards near the house with them, I know I am 40, but money is money right? They do have an awesome cut. The landlord will be more of heavy pulling, trailer dragging, snow plow, garden plow and disc kind of thing. I have rambled on long enough, Thanks for listening!

Welcome to the club.^ Parts are still available along with used engines. You might hit it on a used engine complete with SG and cut your costs.

Thanks for the welcome. Will most any big briggs work, just asking. Didnt know if there were issues with the s/g pulley and the driveshaft. Thanks for replying!!

Most any 10 to 16 hp cast iron briggs will have the carb and parts you need. Some have longer intakes and taller filters, you just need to match the filter to the intake. Also, one carb linkage will be shorter with a long intake, and longer with a short intake. Also, for a re power, any 10 to 16 will bolt right in, s/g and cranks should be the same, unless you get an oddball engine from a pump or generator that may have a shorter or tapered crank. Even the different crank doesn't matter if you don't intend to use any front powered attachments

Getting excited about this, money is tight it will be done slow. Ready to find a motor and tear down for sandblast and paint!!!!!!

If its an early Landlord, the 12hp series was a chore to fit because of an extended balance gear housing in the nose, otherwise the latter tractors had clearance made for it.

I think the flat hoods were the first of the direct swap(no modifying needed) since the 12hp engine came out a little before that.

the 24 series briggs is one of the best engines in my opinion. thye are like the energizer bunny, keep going, and going....ect ^. any 10hp-16hp will drop right in . my round hood Allis big ten has a 16hp with not much effort to install. the 2012 round hood's had the syncro-balanced 12hp in them. your flat hood should be a easy engine swap.

I love my engine in my 2012. Starts and runs great. Needed carb for it and found on ebay. Was the first time I ever used ebay and it was fun outbidding everyone else. Also it needed an engine shroud but I can't remember where I got that. Ever since its been a blessing. You will enjoy yours also I recommend you keep it. By the way welcome. Patrick