Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Starter generator discharging battery

Neilo

I believe the starter generator on my 10hp briggs is discharging the battery instead of charging. I have an ammeter in the circuit and it reads about -10A when starting but then shows about the same when running. I am guessing it is not that I have the ammeter in reverse as it shows negative when turning the engine over. I have looked at Zippo's video on youtube about wiring and it seems that my 64 Landlord is correct, with the battery terminal from the regulator going to the positive on the battery via the ammeter and starter solenoid. The only difference is I have a combined starter and kill switch installed. Any ideas as to what could cause it to start fine but then discharge? Thanks

If you check it with a volt meter while the system is running does it show 13+ volts(preferably 13.5-14.0v)? If it does then the meter may be wired backwards. If it is not posting a higher voltage than the engine-off reading, then your reverse-current relay in the regulator will need adjustment, of which there are some how-to's somewhere around here.

• 2 weeks later...
I have done the checks descibed. Off, the voltage read 12.3v, which is down a bit partly due to this problem. Running, the voltage was 11.3v. The ammeter shows -15A at lower rpm and at higher rpm, goes to -10A. Given the result, I investigated the regulator and all seemed good inside other than the points to the battery terminal were a bit dirty. Then I checked the part number. It is 1118725-6V-N. Seems to me a 6 volt regulator had been fitted by the PO! Why I don't know. I disconnected the battery lead from the regulator and voltage from this terminal was 8v, definently a 6v regulator. I figure I need a replacement correct regulator, but now I wonder whether the starter gen could be 6 volt as well? It seems to start fine with a 12v battery when charged. Is there any way I can check or tell? Thanks Neil

Hi, I am not aware of any 6 v starter gens. When the tractor is running wide open, connect a voltmeter to the A terminal of the SG and then ground the F terminal. If the voltage at the A terminal jumps up to over 13 volts the SG is probably good. Al Eden

Thanks Al, Does the regulator have to be disconected from the starter gen for this test, or can I leave it wired up?

Neil, I would think you would have to disconnect the voltage regulator from the S/G since if the regulator is functioning correctly, I believe it energizes the "F" terminal to stop the S/G from "charging". I wouldn't think you'd want to ground the "F" terminal when it's being energized from the regulator. Maybe this would be OK with a 12v regulator but it doesn't sound like something you want to do with a 6v regulator. If it were me, first I'd measure the voltage at the "F" terminal with the engine running. Then I'd disconnect both wires from the voltage regulator to the S/G. Start the engine and measure the "A" terminal voltage, then ground the "F" terminal and see the voltage jump as Al stated. PS - see: http://edensltd.com/starter-generator.htm for Al's write up about S/G, regulator operation. He states the voltage without the S/G connected to the battery would be higher than normal (14.5 to 17v).

Thanks for your help. I will follow this when I next get to my property where the Landlord is kept. Neil

Hi, You can just ground it when everything is connected. The regulator SHOULD be grounding it until the voltage out gets up to 14 to 14.8 volts. At this time, the contacts open and vibrate. when they open there is a resistor across then and the F terminal goes from a solid ground to a ground through a resistor. For a complete explanation of how regulators work, go to my web site. www.edensltd.com and go to the tech articles. Then to electrical and voltage regulators and also about starter generators. Al Eden

• 2 weeks later...
OK, I have finally got to the tractor and tried to test the S/G. I got the following results. With the regulator hooked up and tractor running, the voltage from the F terminal was 2.5v. With the regulator disconected, so the only lead going to the S/G was the starter lead to the A terminal, the voltage from the A terminal was 2.5v, grounding the F terminal, this voltage jumped to 37v. 37v seemed high but it is above 13v at least. Assuming 37v is acceptable?, what type or part No regulator do I need for the '64 Landlord? It looks like it is designed to have a rectangular 3 unit regulator with 3 mounting bolts going off the holes in the frame, rather than the more square 2 unit regulator I have seen for sale aftermarket. It seems there are lots of similar regulators with slight differences I don't understand, like the curcuit type. Thanks Neil

Could someone with an early Landlord with original 3 unit regulator please help me with the Delco part no. for the regulator? I have drawn a blank going off the Simplicity part no. in the operator manual. Thanks

quote:
Originally posted by Neilo
Could someone with an early Landlord with original 3 unit regulator please help me with the Delco part no. for the regulator? I have drawn a blank going off the Simplicity part no. in the operator manual. Thanks
1119310 came off my 3112H