Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Need a Good Used Starter ,Help! lol

stakemyster

Hi, I have a 1998 Simplicity Sovereign it Has the Kohler OHC engine TH18S seems the starter went out on it 1st time I tried to start it to mow with it this year,Most of the time it does nothing when you try to start it but if I use my jumper box all Im getting is a sound like the starter spinning. The battery is fully charged. If anyone has a Good used starter they dont need,tell me the price, I dont want to pay $206 for one! Also I have a 1972 728 and a bolt broke that holds the mower deck pulley to the deck and it also hold the center blade. I need a diagram to hook up my new belt. It has a pulley on mower deck and one on bottom of the Briggs engine and it has 2 vertical pulleys side by side below the grill. Any help on these 2 matters will be so Greatly Appreciated my grass is getting high and hard to push mow 3 lots plus I mow 2 elderly neighbors yards. Its Hard to believe they both broke down a week a part! I have never had a single problem out of either I have had the 728 over 20 years and I bought the big frame Sovereign last year. Thanks for any help! I love this:O site!!!

Place the belt on the engine PTO pulley around the back side with the remainder of the belt forward out the front of tractor. Now twist the V down on the belt and place on top of front idler pulleys and run around each pully.The remaining belt will now be under the pulleys an ready to place on mower center spindle pulley. Engage your mower lever and push the belt stops on the PTO pulley so they are about 1/16" from the belt. I think there is belt stops on the verticle pulleys and loosening the bolts is the only way to get the belt under them and into the v of the pulley. Check belt tension and your done.

Check your part number. According to the parts manual that I looked in this is the correct number 28 755 30-S. http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Kohler-OEM-Original-Part-Starter-28-755-30-S-Engine-Johnson-2809803-/251027661138?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a726a2152 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Kohler-28-755-30-S-Electric-Starter-OEM-/270959571141?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f1672f0c5

The starter is an inertia starter that spins the gear into the flywheel gear and at times neesds to be cleaned. If you hear starter turn but not engage, this might be your problem. And the mower manual. http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=jgEAGP_dzI0tG5Exj7mRgtLvBCd6

Thanks for all your help! my Starter number is a United Technologies starter #2809801. Im going to have to drop the deck and replace tht bolt. Thanks for the help on routing the belt cuz I wondered how to do it cuz the engine pulley is so much higher then the rest. Thanks again!

yes they are but I saw in the add for 14-16hp and my tractor is a 18 horsepower hydro. Thanks alot I m going to buy it!

Crap thats the only starter on the page without a add to cart tab, so they must be out of stock it seems, they close at 4:30 I have to call them tomorrow, thanks again!

• 1 month later...
I cant find that starter anywhere! Motor City Reman called the manufacturer on another line I heard call in 2 weeks so i did and same thing! Now I can get one from a Simplicity dealer for $229 plus Tax,but I didnt want to spend that much! lol

quote:
Originally posted by stakemyster
I cant find that starter anywhere! Motor City Reman called the manufacturer on another line I heard call in 2 weeks so i did and same thing! Now I can get one from a Simplicity dealer for $229 plus Tax,but I didnt want to spend that much! lol
Have you taken off starter from the TH engine and the spin it to see if there is any back and forth gear movement?

quote:
Originally posted by stakemyster
I have used a jumper box and put the red lead directly on the starter and it does spin.
Does the starter gear move laterally? Here is the way an inertia starter works. If the gear doesn't move it needs to be lubricated. When in motion the gear can slide away or to the engine depending on design. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTAXLgw63bQ