Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
TomSchmit

Bigger wheels - better cut?

TomSchmit
In northern areas where we grow "cool season" turf, I have like to cut the grass quite high. This reduces turf brown-out during the hottest, driest summer periods. I cut with a Broadmoor. To get a higher cut, I have modified the rear roller assemby by drilling an additional hole in the bracket, which allows me to increase the cutting height by about 1". However, this sets the entire deck on a slight angle, so the front arc of the blade is slightly lower than the rear arc. I would like to try to fix this problem by using larger wheel/tire on the front, thus raising up the front mower attachment point. The Broadmoor's factory front wheel is a 6" wheel with 5.3x6 tire. Some people have told me that the 8" front wheels from large-frame tractors will fit properly on the Broadmoor's front axle stub. Is this true? If so, I could use the 4.8x8 wheel/tire used on early tractors, or the 16x6.5x8 used on later tractors. If I use the wider 16x6.5x8, I will have to make sure they do not interfere with the mower deck or steering. So the big question is: Will these 8" wheels fit the Broadmoor axle stubs? Also, I would like to have real bearings, rather than the bushings used on the stock 6" wheels. Do all the 8" from wheels (from all the various Landlord/Sovereign models) use bearings, or do some have bushings? I still cut and push snow with a Broadmoor my father bought new in 1967. It is the greatest little tractor ever made - so I now have 5 various models! Thanks - Tom

arnoldir
Hello Tom, My 2 cents, I have a 6216 which originally had 6" rims. The spindles are 3/4" diameter and the original rims were held on with E Clips. To fit this with tapered roller bearings, I used 5 lug hubs from a small trailer that had 3/4" spindles. The only challenge was to grind down the large washer welded to the spindle, as it was too large to fit into the grease seal of the hub. As far as securing the hub to the spindle, there was not enough room to thread it and use a nut, so I used an external snapring, and Arbor Shims which are very thin graduated washers to set up the preload on the bearings. It works great, and now I have a matching bolt pattern front and rear, there are photos in the gallery section under Simplicity 6216. I suspect that the older factory rims with roller bearings (some do use them) would fit, and could be secured / adjusted the same way. The arbor shims were picked up at Grainger Industrial Supply for $9 a package and one pack did the job. I had thought about buying a set of 1" trailer spindles and hubs and boring out the spindles to fit over the 3/4" originals but got lucky with the correct size, but have since found that 3/4" bore hubs are not very common and cost twice what the 1" hubs cost. So if I want to put the trailer back together I may buy 1" stuff and have the spindles bored out. Happy tractoring

Kent
Tom, The older Landlords had a 3/4" axle stub -- I can't talk to your Broadmoor from firsthand experience, but I think it does also.... If these wheels will fit, I'd certainly recommend you use the 4.80x8 for two reasons (1) no clearance problems, and (2) easier steering. The wider tires are hard to steer at low speeds, and don't very work well at all in the snow, if you use your tractor to push or blow snow... No heavier than your tractor is, you certainly don't need the wide tires to prevent rutting your lawn... My 2 cents....