Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

hydro lift belt

jmcj10

I have a 3112H. hydro lift belt needs to be replaced. How hard is it to replace this belt and maybe a few tips on how to do it. thanks

The hydro belt is a real PITA. There's really no short cuts. Remove the batt side cover, remove the 2 bolts and spacers that attach the flex disc to the flywheel, loosen the 3 nuts that secure the hydro-pump slide the pump downward and replace the belt. On occasion I have found it helpful to loosen the 4 engine to frame bolts to allow a little wiggle to the engine to help reinstall the flex disc bolts. I also use a 3/8ths drive air gun on the flex disc bolts rather than swinging a wrench or ratchet in that tight area. Just my 2 cents worth value accordingly.

I have a narrow jawed vice grip pliers which I find very useful to re-install the spacers and/or washers between the disc and engine. My old fumble fingers just don't work well in small spaces. If your srarter generator belt is worn, it is also a good idea to change it when you have the drive shaft loose.

quote:
Originally posted by JimDk
I have a narrow jawed vice grip pliers which I find very useful to re-install the spacers and/or washers between the disc and engine. My old fumble fingers just don't work well in small spaces. If your starter generator belt is worn, it is also a good idea to change it when you have the drive shaft loose.
I have a 10" straight and a 10" curved locking forceps that I bought for $3.00ea at a farm show. It has become one of my handiest tools I have especially for attaching nuts in to bolts in tight spots An example http://www.amazon.com/Forceps-Curved-Hemostat-Stainless-Steel/dp/B006MBHNX8

When I reassembled my HB112 with hydro-lift I placed the drive shaft through an extra starter/generator belt and hydro-lift belt and plastic tied them both aside. The hydro-lift belt I placed on the engine flywheel screen/cover and the start/gen belt on the back of the housing next to the battery and fuel tank. That way if one of the drive belts fails I just have to cut it out, free the appropriate spare belt and install it. Don't have to disassemble anything to replace the belt that way. By the way, the hydro-lift spare belt has been in place on the flywheel screen/cover for two seasons with no problem...just make sure to place the belt symmetrically around the screen/cover for balance...and use plenty of plastic ties.