Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Big Ten Won't Start????

bowhunt4life

Okay, Some back history...I fried up a SG a few weeks back and promptly fried another one. Replaced the voltage regulator and put on a working SG and tractor fired right up. Mowed a few paths in the yard and put the tractor away. SG did feel hot when parked. Fast forward 14 hours later and push the starter button and nothing, try again and had power for a split second than nothing. When I depress the starter button I can hear something in the new Voltage Regulator. Took cover off and looked fine. I am guessing I may have a starter button issue. Is there a way to test the starter button to see if it is indeed not closing the circuit without having to dismantle the tower to get at the four bolts? Thanks, Chris

Hi Chris, You can use a jumper cable (like for a car) from the positive battery terminal to the bolt for the starter where the thick battery cable connects, make a firm contact to avoid arcing. This will bypass the starter button. If it worked for a split second, that sounds like a bad connection and usually those occur only where you last messed with connections. Also, I do not recall these running hot so you may still have a charging problem. Dan

Update As Dan suggested and YellowB10 too, I bypassed the switch, and Shazamm! I had turnover so I suspected the Starter Button Switch. I was able to get the switch out, cleaned connections, hooked up wires and bam! Nothing at all......Fudge! I studied the wiring diagram and was looking at SG when the light bulb came on. I had recently painted the SG and went and cleaned and adjusted the connections. Hit the Starter Button and zipadeedodah!! We have turnover. Reinstalled the switch started the tractor and mowed the lawn.....Ah the things these machines teach me and you members teach me. Thanks for all the help.