Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
TomSchmit

** Great Balls o' Fire **

BradW
Sad thing of it is, that happend to my grandfather and me, he was combining with a New Holland TR70 combine with a ford diesel engine and the motor started to bog down and he pushed on the clutch and regained RPM's and then the motor died, I was driving the tractor along with a wagon so he could unload the grain tank and I saw smoke and told him the combine was on fire, he got in the tractor and we drove away a little bit, an hour before he put 85 gallons of diesel in the tank and the fuel tank is behind the cab and underneath it, we waited 3 minutes in the tractor about five minutes since he had gotten out of the combine and the fire got to the tank and it blew up quite big!! Let's just say I am glad he wasn't hurt and I got there when I did, he had another combine to use but it is to bad the other one blew, it is just a good reason to clean the engine compartmant every 3 hours even in your lawnmower, I blow it out before and after I use it for safety, oh well, have a good one,-BradW

arnoldir
You really had me going there Dutch. Simplicity had two shades of orange I've heard. I need some for my 1981 6216, anybody know the P/N ?? I'm planning on cutting up a spare fender assembly and using it to stretch the original fenders so they cover the tires completly.

TomSchmit
I was out mowing today, and my tractor stopped. I thought it was out of fuel so I filled it up and checked the oil. Still won’t start, so I removed the air cleaner to check the choke and also checked for spark. Found a loose wire and fixed it. Checked for spark again by just lifting the plug wire off the plug. The engine fired right up at wide open throttle, which startled me. As I let the plug wire go, it dropped down onto the plug and the engine kept running. At the same time, fuel I had spilled caught fire. The tractor was a ball of flame, and I couldn’t get close enough to turn it off or close the throttle. Although the aluminum hydro case melted like an ice cream cone, and all the belts and tires burned like crisp bacon, the tractor was still running at wide open throttle when the fire department arrived. As the fire fighters sprayed water, some must have gotten into the engine (the air cleaner and oil fill cap were still off). Suddenly a piece of connecting rod and crankcase came exploding from the side. Obviously, after I do the mechanical repairs the tractor will need to be repainted. Every bit of paint burned off, so there is no sample. Where do I find the paint code for a Simplicity. You guys just seem concerned with AC yellow. How about Simplicity orange..? Of course, none of the above is true. Just thought I’d liven things up after reading Kent’s message #4554, in which he pitifully states, “. . . it seems a bit slow -- no one else must be having tractor problems but me. . .”

powermax_paul
Holy cow Dutch!, you had me going! Had it been one of those green tractors, I never would have believed it. The engine would have stopped long before the green paint would have discolored. Paul

John_RI
Roy, After reading your post, I really got to thinking you may be right. I tried to get my mind off worrying and started watching TV. One of those psychic hot line ladies came on. I never called one before, but figured I’d try it out. I asked her about my Sovereign, but she acted like she didn’t even know what I was talking about. She asked me a few questions and told me I would find a lottery ticket (since I don’t buy them) and win $100,000,000. My wife would put half in the bank and never touch it. It would take me many, many years to spend my 50 million. I would only work on the days that I wanted to, but I would be able to work even after I was well over 100 years old. I’d never be sick another day in my life, not even a cold. My children would treat me like I WAS the world’s greatest dad, just like those hokey cards say. My wife would again believe my every word, and never argue, just like when we were first married. I’d never receive another telemarketer phone call, or a spam email. When I spent my very last dollar, I’d pass away peacefully in my sleep. There would be a “Welcome Home Herb” sign and Saint Peter would say, “You may come right in.” Whew…… I hope that takes care of that. If all this comes true, I don’t care if the Sovereign does burn to the ground.

jlasater
How come those psychic hotlines have to ask you your name and credit card number? Hmm.[A href='http://www.wheatfarm.com']http://www.wheatfarm.com[/a]

The only problem I've had lately is scraping the paint off the deck when I mow next to things! I did pick up a 12oz. can of Simplicity paint at the tractor supply store. It's part # 1685589 and it's called "Powder Orange". Made by Simplicity and it cost me $7.95 + tax. I used it on my 4211H. Have a good day!