Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
huffy

old Landlord/B series steering slop repair

huffy
Since steering slop seems to be a common problem with these old machines, I thought I'd post this here for those of you that haven't been popping over to the Show & Tell forum to follow my long-winded saga about my bumbling attempts to freshen up my 2012. Anyway, one of the things causing my steering slop was that the slots in the steering gear have been wallowed out by the steering arm pin. If you watch the relationship between the edge of the steering gear and the edge of the board in the pics, you can see that just the slight gaps allowed for quite a bit of "play" in the steering wheel.

To resolve this I drilled and tapped for two 10-32 set screws, which eliminated the slop.

The steering gear's hardened so tapping the holes takes patience to avoid snapping the tap off. Also, the steering arm pin's extremely hard since it wasn't worn at all even though the worn steering gear had been rubbing on it. So, I don't think the set screws will damage it. But, to be on the safe side, I cut some short "wear pins" out of a piece of welding rod and slid them down in the holes before inserting the set screws. As the "wear pins" erode away, I can easily pop a side panel off and adjust the set screws with an allen wrench. I also put a little Loctite on the set screws to keep them from vibrating loose.

It wasn't my ideal fix, but I don't have the necessary tools for some of the other ideas I had. So, hopefully this will hold up well enough.

huffy
Send 'em up my way, Josh, and I'll get 'em taken care of. Thanks again for that eccentric pin. It fixed about 55% of the problem. It looked like someone had been in there tinkering around before. For some reason that I cannot fathom, they evidently decided to take a file to the eccentric pin. But, that replacement pin you gave me and the new sleeve bearing fixed all that right up. Hopefully that new pin and the steering gear repair will resolve all of the steering play. Before I started messing with this, I could turn the steering wheel nearly 180 degrees before the steering arm would even start to move the drag link. It was bad.

GrincheyOne
Chris, First class solution on that "engineering deviation", aka "as built". The slop tradition continued into at least the 4000 series. One major problem when I first got my 4212, was the sector gear being jammed by "critter clutter". The sector gear on the LTG is located at the base of The tower, requiring the removal of the whole tower to gain access, yet it is readily accessible to the critters. I also did not find any way to adjust the gear lash.Another plus for the FDTs vs the RBTs! NOW that was a project to document. W

MysTiK
Hey, huff, truly most EXCELLENT sm01 As for the welding rod built-in backup plan with the Allen screws => Priceless. Whether it stands up or not, it's just "WILDLY creative". I love it. thanx.

huffy
Mystik: I'll let y'all know how it holds up after I Huff test it by running it through a plowed field and smacking some ruts. If it don't hold up, I'll thunk up something else. I've got some better ideas, and if I can find a mill laying around somewhere I'll give them a try.