Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

gasket making - briggs vanguard

mike_sdak

Hello. I have a briggs 16hp (303447) vanguard on a grasshopper mower. Last night, I removed the air cleaner assembly and tore up the gasket between that and the carburetor. The gasket will need to be shipped, as it isn't in stock anywhere ($14.00, after shipping). I am thinking of just making a gasket out of fel-pro 3025 (1/16" thick) gasket material and being done with it. I am a little concerned that the factory gasket (692081) will be a different thickness or a different material. Any basis to my concerns? Any thoughts appreciated.

quote:
Originally posted by spi
Don't worry about it, you can make one out of a file folder if you want
That and a real thin layer of RTV and next time you remove it it'll just peel right off.;)

GH's are very specialized high end commercial mowers (mainly) carrying big stickers prices. I daresay an airbox might be very proprietary to GH despite the vanguard specs. I don't know how you have concerns that a part won't fit. Some 5 years ago I looked into a few GH mowers when I came across one for only 3K. It was sold b4 I could research further. But I later discovered there were other older models that did not look like newer models at all. They are very specialized - if you can't trust part numbers, that's an issue; I can only suggest go with it, cos it's probably unique to GH. Beyond that, I don't know much at all. Maybe someone else does. I am thinking airbox construction and location of the airbox might have nothing to do with make of model of engine itself. I think these babies run around 30K+ retail. and that might be way off also. I know of one person who owns one, and has the donneros to own one. Pretty rare. Good luck. A local Simp dealer offers service; but you can bet he is ordering parts also.

Thanks for the thoughts. The air cleaner and carb are standard for a briggs vanguard of that model. My concern is not that the factory part will fit, but rather the cost and time involved in mail ordering it. I thought I might be better served making one. This model GH is a 616, which I think retailed for about 3-$4000 in about 2001. So far it has been good, but the eaton hydro transaxles won't hold up like the sundstrands, I am pretty sure.

http://www.equipmentlocator.com/asp/browse/con/4/loc/na-en/industry/gc/type/74/make/Grasshopper/model/616 There's a swarm of "used" GrassHopper 616's at that link, ranging from 2-5k. You must have got a great deal. Good thing you aren't dealing with me, at 10x the price :D That gasket would be $140. OO I think somebody lied to me. They do make bigger models, bigger decks, and the one I saw for sale had a vacuum bagger, etc. and maybe a diamond studded deck with pure gold blades, o yeh, really. B) :O

Wow, I think I was off a bit in my estimate of sticker price.... I picked it up for $800. At the time, had to do some convincing of the better half (why would we buy another mower with the same size deck as the two tractors we already have?) Once she mowed half the yard with the GH, we weren't selling it...

In my experiences, I have made gaskets out of paper grocery bag. Choosing the correct material depends on the gasket's function.

Hi Al. Here is the number I have: 692081. It should be the gasket between the air cleaner assembly, and the carburetor. 16 Hp #303447 horiz. shaft. Send me a PM if you have that part. Otherwise, I'll just make one. Thanks,