Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

18 hp sunstar vs 1999 sovereign

cncman08

i have 18 hp sunstar and i am considering purchasing a 1999 sovereign w/o power steerign and 48" deck and selling my sunstar the sunstar has a rear pto but no three point and 48" deck what are the pros and cons of this idea both machines are in clean working order

If you are mowing only, the 99 is a slightly more compact version and probably and a few years newer then what you have. The 48" deck shells are virtually the same, the quality of cut the same and now, power steering.

FEL capabilities. 3PH capabilities "I own a Sunstar" capabilities. :D Sunstar is pretty close to being a "compact tractor". I can only guess you don't want, don't like, or don't need Sunstar; in which case, you might be happier without it. Perhaps there is a problem? Perhaps there's a cash incentive? What are you thinking? Answering that might avoid the potentially dark future question, namely... "what WERE you thinking?" Methinks it's personal preference, unless there are specific needs or issues. or it's just plain personal. your call.

I have a 720 with a loader blower tiller and mower but generally like to leave the loader on it so the sunstar is pretty much used for mowing i was just thinking about going to the sovereign because it is a little newer and i can pick the sovereign up for 1000 and my sunstar should sell for at least 1000 one thing i dont like about the sovereign is it is the non power steering model

ideally i would like to pick up another 720 or power max so i could use the attachments i already have but i have not seen any in my area in my price range

I would keep the sunstar. I think the 99 Sovereign still had the dreaded "Triad" engine. That would be something else to avoid. Make sure it has the Command engine.

It has a Triad unless it has been changed. My motor information manual states 1997 was the last year for the Command and shows a Triad in the 1998 and 1999. Doesn`t show a Sovereign being built in 2000 model year.

1997 75th had the triad also. I love the sunstar and had a cherry one for a year or so. I ended up going sovereign due to attachment options and ease to work on.