Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

TomSchmit

Can someone help me w/ ballpark value on a 6216 w/ 48" deck. Paint is rough (no problem there); deck looks very rough but ran very nicely (new bearings); engine had 100 compression on both cylinders, but seller stated starter is weak and likely needs new brushes. Seller stated he had welded a small crack in the frame. Seller didn't know it had Vari-drive, hence had never tried it. I don't know anything about them either, so didn't try it out. He was asking $750, but dropped to $550 before I could say anything. I'm thinking maybe $450?

Hello, I got my 6216 wit 42" deck for $202 on Ebay, see photos in gallery, it's been hotrodded since. I love this tractor, and have beaten it silly with no problems other than the starter and magnitron. Starter needed a new endcap (seized bushing) that included brushes for about $25, and the magnitron was about $45. Vari-Drive or Tractomatic is a intermediate pully with a sliding center sheve that allows for as much as 50% change in drive ratio, while moving. It also responds to the load and downshifts as required when plowing or towing. The lever in the console just moves a stop that limits the position of the cluch pedal in the fully released position. To test, put the tractomatic lever in the "Fast" position and simply let the clutch up slowly and after initial engagment it should accelerate as you continue to let the pedal up, and slow down as you depress it. The pedal should travel about 3" from the point of engagment to where it hits the end of the slot in the footrest. If the belts are worn or the wrong length it will not work properly, as mine was all wrong when I got it. New belts cost about $65 for both, USE ONLY SIMPLICITY BELTS !! Almost all parts are still available, as are the manuals, and there should be plenty of parts machines out there. One neat feature that I have yet to exploit, is that the driven pully is very large (10") if you swapped in one much smaller and got he belt lengths figured out, it would likely go 20mph in 3rd. My 2 cents, Buy It, Beat It, I doubt you'll regret it.

Thanks for info on vari-drive. I saw your tractor when I was scoping the site for pictures (to see what it should look like) and info earilier today. I'm going to go back and check it out. I'm thinking I'll make him an offer. I didn't mention the muffler is shot, but that should be readily available and not too expensive. And if starter is <$50, that's no big deal either. Might just have the guy rebuild it that did my starter/generator and points on my 717. Hopefully, I'll be looking for blade/snowblower for winter here shortly. (assumingwhat I have for 717 won't come even close to fitting this one) VE