Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
RickS

Bent Snowblower

RickS
Hi, While putting my blower away for the summer I found that this past winter I managed to bent the auger. I know Maynard would recommend running a bent auger into a snowbank to almost the point of stalling to fix it. I feel then bent is too much for that. So can anyone help with how I disassembler, install the new auger, and what else I should replace while I am in there. The blower is the 47 inch single stage used on the older Legacy tractors. thanks Rick......

MysTiK
Bob, you amaze me. Zoom right in to the critical question. (?) If the ends are bent, that means bearing areas are toast. If the ends are ok, then it's easier (maybe), and perhaps the shaft can be straightened, or replaced with...? Is it easy to extract the shaft from the auger blade assembly? As for other things to fix while in there - chain, sprockets, bushings, bearings? Is this one a shaft drive? I have been staring at exploded view diagrams, and searching for repair manuals. Got nothing; and no MFR either. I would guess this is a Simp unit, and not a Berco unit. (?) But what seemed like an impossible job, seems maybe doable, with a bit of luck. Or else it's time to go shopping for a replacement. But I don't know much, and this is all new to me. Just my thoughts. Probably not very helpful; but might stimulate some discussion.

HubbardRA
If the main central shaft portion of the auger is not bent, then the outer, flat, portions of the auger can be straightened. I did mine. I just used a pipe wrench as a prybar to bend the flat portion of the auger back to the normal corkscrew shape. I used both a hammer and some large channel lock pliers to straighten the outer edge of the auger. Any nicks and gouges were smoothed with a hand grinder. Most people would look at mine and think it was never bent up. The nicks on the outer edge of the corkscrew occur on all of them when they are used.

RickS
The central shaft of the auger is bent. When running the blower at speed it bounces up and down a good 3 to 4 inches. I hit something with it this past winter that stalled the motor. Before I started it back up I dug around in the snow to determine what I hit, but could not find anything. Once I checked to make sure the blower was not jammed and was free to move I started it back up. That is when the shake appeared. I have straighten the auger "wings" when needed, but that won't help in the case. Rick.........