Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

murphy stopping back to see me

osenga

last night was about 15 minutes of being done of mowing with the 916 has the K341 . Just out of the blue lose of power smelt like oil and she was on the edge of dying . got her shut down motor was really hot to the touch of the engine. let it cool off for a couple hours,. Started up back into the shop at just idle. seemed weak. today went out pulled the engine thinking maybe a condo in there. Come to find out it was only dust in there since I hit it with air after each mowing or tilling. So I pulled the head off to check the valves out for carbon and there all free and seating like they should be doing and the bore looks good in there to. So next i opend up the crank case breather and the mesh pad is full of oil. I checked oil before I went out to mow and it was right at the full mark and befor I pulled it out today oil level is still at the full mark and the oil dont smell of fuel and this is on a close to new oil change. Still want to pull the pan off to look in the block to see if something in there looks odd. Any ideas what it maybe or I am not seeing since this is my only tinng machine since I use the 38HD tiller

cylinder wall looks good. thats the next things I will be checking, Just have to run now and do some stuff hope to beable to check that stuff late tonight or tomorrow yet

I would look for things like oil in the paper air filter (if there was enough to be a problem it should run pretty rich and the smell would be heavy of fuel. Restricted fuel flow or clogged jets in the carb would cause lean burn. This would cause higher than normal heat and any oil film on the outside of the engine could start to smell. Check ignition timing, Point gap etc. Replace the spark plug. You said the valves seat, but did you check tappet clearance ? I don't expect you'll find any bearing trouble or after you shut it off for a bit I would think it would have at least been tight and slow to start. It isn't impossible but from what you said I'd look at the little things first. Good luck with it.

ok to start off this dont have no oil leaks on it. when it was pulled no oil whats so ever on the frame . but I got the oil pan off it was tricky cause I wanted to see the oil in it. I got it off with out a mess not sure how I did that lol. but all the oil lookoed good and bottom of the pan maybe a thin layer of sludge. Then I dumed it out and ran my finger around on the bottom of it to see if I would feel any grit but nothing at all then ran a strong magnet around it and nothing stuck to it other then some oil. Then I looked up in side the block and all looks good and nothing moves out of wack. cylined wall not shiny as I hoped but all smooth and no markings so now I am wondering if oil not getting up there good enough

This reminds me of similar problems I had when mowing last year; but it was during a warm day, and mowing in fairly heavy grass. I had been running at about 3/4 throttle, and then I cranked it up to full throttle. This was also the first major mow I had done with my 716 w K341 motor. When I bought the tractor, I had no deck, no attachments, and then got a dump cart and went felling trees and hauling firewood. That was a lot of slow speed work. So, while doing this heavy mowing for over an hour or so, on a warm day, when I hit full throttle for a short while, the engine started exhausting a little trace of smoke - and I could only see this in the sunlight. A slight but very noticeable loss of power also happened, so I backed off the throttle for a while, then used full throttle again, and same thing happened. I finished at 3/4 throttle. I posted some stuff here, and Al Eden got into it and talked about ethanol gas, and how these motors were made before ethanol. Al also explained how Kohler started making head gaskets a little bit thicker, which slightly raised the head, which slightly lowered compression, and solved problems like this. That was how I came to start using only premium gas. I never changed anything else but the premium gas. I mowed on even hotter days, usually at 3/4 throttle; but also tried full throttle after running a while, and no more problems there either. It's possible that from doing slow rpm work, that I caused some carbon deposits, and the long hot mowing problem was just that carbon blowing off or clearing out. Beyond that, the worst is to use old ethanol gas, due to separation and layers of gas, water, and other residues. I have no problems with premium gas. That's higher octane, which, I don't know, I think it is better for higher compression engines, without talking about hi tek gas theory. The K341 may not be a hi compression engine; but it was not made for ethanol for sure. It seems I talk about this way too often; but people are still having fuel problems - but very few, if any of them, say that they are already using premium gas. I don't know if fuel is your problem. Nor do I know what gas you use. But maybe this helps you a little bit. It sounds like you take very good care of your cast iron Kohler. And I am amazed that people just pull the head, or pull the oil pan - I have never done that. I am afraid to do that - I tend to think, If it works, don't fix it, or don't touch it. I am just not very experienced with mechanical work; so the things I do, are pretty basic. I guess there's only one way to learn. But, fortunately, I don't have any real problems. I should probably check valve clearances, points, etc. but everything keeps on working fine. I get a slight miss, at idle, once in a while, not serious. Anyway, maybe that's a help. and maybe not. just an idea. Sorry, long post for such a simple story. The details seemed important. sm03

As I was mowing today I saw a lot of dandelion fuzz flying around and thought about Bryan's problem. Don't know why I didn't think of it sooner but I remember having the same problems many years ago. A new air filter fixed the problem. So now, I usually at least clean the foam prefilter if not both on a regular basis and have not had problems.