Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

DVTO2

Homelite T-10 Tiller problem

DVTO2
I just brought home a Homelite T-10 and am still getting the hang of it. It looks well taken care and ran well at the sellers. I did a few passes in the garden and the tiller stopped working. The belts spin but the tiller does not. The tiller blades rotate freely like there is a shear pin busted or the gears are shot - any suggestions?

DVTO2
Yea. I haven't seen a diagram but I was imagining something like a chain broke. Is there a diagram of this somewhere and a place where I can order parts? Is it hard to replace these chains? Links with instructions would be helpful.

RayS
Your tiller should be very simular to the one in the link below. If you have a 36" tiller. http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=heCBEN8arI4rE3Cvh5kbp796Dq

Willy
It's probably the chain,if so your local tractor supplier should have chain in bulk of differend sizes. If that's what it is take your old chain with you and have them match it up. Good luck and Welcome to the club

Hotwire7434
Here is another that partstree.com says fits the T10 Homelite http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=heCBEN8cwJ4rE3Cvh5.bp796Dq Hotwire

RayS
The 36" tillers are the same other than the hitch and lift arm. I have the repair manual for the tiller that I can send you in a email if you send me your email address in a private message.

DVTO2
My Homelite model number on this tiller is 1600170 and the simplicity model it most resembles is 1690039, Figure 5-5 in the manual you sent me Ray. So I got the shields and hitch off but am struggling with how to remove the collars around the pulley and tine shafts. It looks like the removing the nuts allows the bolts to drop into the housing - is this what I want? Step 4 says use a spanner wrench, which I don't have, or a punch, but I am just not clear on how best to proceed here.

DVTO2
Muddled through. Put a vise grip on each collar and spun them off. Bottom fooled me with a set screw. The middle chain was busted. Hope I can get it all back together. How much and what kind of grease should I pack into the housing? It looks like the bottom quarter has some kind of grease. Keeping my fingers crossed on getting it all back together.

DVTO2
So I was able to get the tiller back together - it seems to work fine, though I had another frustrating moment getting the belts hooked up right. The manuals helped - thanks Ray!