Jump to content

Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
gomez1

Tiller geardrive ratio

Recommended Posts

gomez1
Can anyone tell me the ratio of the 48" tiller geardrive for the powrmax tractor.The input shaft has a 16 tooth gear and the output shaft has a 24 tooth gear.Math wasn't my best subject but I'm sure this isn't a 1 to 1 ratio.Any help would be appreciated.Thanks Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MysTiK
I don't exactly recall exactly; it's not too complex tho. If there's no other gearing between the input and the output shafts then it just means that 1 turn on the input gets you less than 1 turn on the output. 16 teeth per rotation gets 16/24 rotation on the output. 16/24. if you divide both the top# and bottom# by 8, you get 2/3. So 1 input shaft rotation, rotates the output shaft only 2/3 of a rotation. which means it's being geared down, easier to turn the output shaft. which means mower power via mechanical advantage. So ratio is 1 to 2/3. or If you want "whole numbers", multiply each number by 3. So in whole numbers the same ratio is 3 to 2 = 3:2 3 rotations input yields 2 rotations output I think of this in terms of a 10-speed bike, or similar. the smaller front sprocket turning the larger rear sprocket, makes it easier to pedal, especially uphill, due to mechanical advantage, expressed as 3:2 ratio. If you want to change your tiller gear ratio, just plug in different numbers, assuming it's possible to access and change the individual gears. As it is now, you are getting 50 percent more power; altho that may not be a true statement, depending on how "power" is defined, but for this consideration, it will do. Changing gears would make a difference; but probably not very much; or not enough to warrant the expense. An interesting idea; but the manufacturer/engineer already did the math and this gives optimal torque applied to the ground to do the work. I think that's the right idea - but maybe someone else knows more about engineering than I do. You could also consider the affects of changing the diameter, or radius, of the tines. Larger radius would make the business end of the tines travel faster, generating some weird thing like greater moment of inertia, whatever that is. But that's physics. And I forgot more than I learned a long time ago. I have supposedly a high math i.q. or some b.s. like that - it was all just too boring. I would rather "feel" the math and relativity and vectors and derivatives and matrices rather than do calculations. I had a bad attitude in school. :D I have little respect for the socalled "education" system generally - both then and now. I remember some tv show where the star of the show would be the hero and save the world, or whatever - on the tv, they showed all kinds of lines being drawn, like lasers lines - it's no different than pulling off a trick shot on a pool table. Pool is a "feel" game. These days I enjoy felling problematic trees after a wind storm - got a few of those to drop (leaners). In Star Wars, they called it "the Force". Education does not account for the true capabilities of human beings. Neither does religion - but that's a controversial topic. This is about the idea that we only use 10% of our brains. The other 90% gets into esotericism, which is described by elitists as "the inner circle". Society calls it "crazy". I think I should write a book. speaking of which.... :D I am not sure what you are trying to do, or change, if anything. There are possibilities. And you don't need a degree to go there. It's just information. The internet, were it not a ripoff business, could truly change the world. I hope this is not offensive to some.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Who's Online (See full list)

    • AC716
    • Hick
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. acey
      acey
      (68 years old)
    2. Gary
      Gary
      (68 years old)
  • Recent Status Updates

    • SonOfCreepfeed

      SonOfCreepfeed

      Thinkin' about this old girl.

      · 1 reply
    • Dean McFadden

      Dean McFadden

      Good morning peeps! I’m always searching for helpful information with my AC collection. Hope to find out new information and pass on my own experience in restoration. Here are some pics of my babies. I’m still looking for front rims for the 410 so yesterday I put the 310 wheels on took it for a drive. Working pretty good but still needs some carb work. Gotta get the 310 running next. Have a great day!😁
       

      · 1 reply
  • Adverts

×