Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
GLPointon

7116/GTH-L Resto w/PowerSteering..DONE, Final Pics

GLPointon
This project is to take a Simplicity 7116H and add/fab Power Steering and convert it into a GTH-L Sovereign (like the 1998 model). I'm doing this just because I really like the looks of that paint/decal design... Big THANK YOU's to Ray & Sam & midnightpumpkin for helping me with Power Steering conversion advice, manuals, measurments, mods, E-bay parts, etc...^ I got this 7116H last fall from the Chicago area CraigsList. It was well abused!!!

As usual had to replace the battery, plug, clean fuel, etc... also needed a new starter, But then she roared to life!

Broken steering wheel too

The 16 ran good but since this is going to be my new primary worker I am going to overhaul the engine too.

I did alot of hammer work on the front frame. It looked like the PO used it as a bumper or hit some trees?

I got this Power Steering Valve from E-Bay, its from a J-Deere 318. The Simplicity PS Valve is approx 15" long. This one is over 18" so I decided to try to shorten it.

The outer tube can be removed, then you need to push out the hard plastic/nylon bearing.

I cut the tube with a pipe cutter then used a rotary sanding spool to clean up and grind enough relief inside the tube so the bearing can be pressed back in...

after its reassembled I cut it to length. (Not pictured)

I'm using the old dash bushing as a guide to help drill an exact hole in the new wheel I got from E-bay to fit over the steering valve shaft.

I'm not sure if this angled cylinder will cause any problems. (from a Cub cadet) it has the perfect stroke, turns wheels from "stop to stop" So far using the Steering valve and Cylinder from odd tractor models has saved hundreds $$$ (if they work)

MORE TO COME...

midnightpumpkin
Greg, Glad to see you are into the 7116 project. I have a 7117, I want to do the same thing to. Nice shoes in the 12th picture down, I have a pair just like them! John U

GrincheyOne
Nice Job!OOWhat is it with some owners, that they think that is an honest to God bumper?8CI have the same thing to do on my 4212LTG! Except I won't be fighting with 1/8" frame steel. I plan to use a heavy piece of angle iron (I have from old bed frames, and a hand full of "C" clamps. I guess there is a market to fabricate "crash bars" simular to those on police vehicles!cop

GLPointon
I agree Wayne, some people shouldn't drive a tractor dz they're a danger to others...
quote:
Originally posted by GrincheyOne
Nice Job!OOWhat is it with some owners, that they think that is an honest to God bumper?8CI have the same thing to do on my 4212LTG! Except I won't be fighting with 1/8" frame steel. I plan to use a heavy piece of angle iron (I have from old bed frames, and a hand full of "C" clamps. I guess there is a market to fabricate "crash bars" simular to those on police vehicles!cop

SmilinSam
I am putting a PS system from a Cub cadet on my 914 right now. My steering cylinder is going to have to be mounted at the rear in around the same place as yours. I am going to try bolting the stud right through the frame where its double steel walled ahead and below the lift shaft. Mines going to end of being on a slanted angle as well, even with a tall stud on the steering arm. Only thing I see as a potential problem is that the wheels ill want to turn slightly one side of the other in a full swing of the axle going over uneven terrain. Hve to see how bad after the system is installed. Other than that I am going to have to grind away some of the frame surface to the forward of the clearance indentation so the front heim wont rub on the frame in a full left turn with the axe swung upward.

GLPointon
Thats good to know Sam, I didnt try the clearances with the axle pivoted, only L & R clearances on level ground...I thought the angled cyl. may try to lift the axle a bit on R turns.?? Like you said alot of this we'll just have to wait & see. Good luck. I'll be watching--you'll likely pass me up on my slow progress... I'm working on 2 tractors, loader, garden, and 2 massive trees I'm cutting up for firewood...etc sm00|)

SmilinSam
Me pass you??? Probably not likely. Got two regular work tractors that are giving me fits to keep tinkering on.. This weekend is the Kids Diesel school graduation.. Next weekend is a auction The two weekends after that I need to spend taking a bunch of my stuff to Eds for his auction there.. Then the weekend after that is Eds auction.. or something like that.. And the weekend after that is another auction I'm hoping to sell some more stuff on..maybe the Super cub if it dont get with the program and start running rightngr2666 Might make a little progress between now and then if I'm luckydOd

SmilinSam
Ok, you were right.... I'm done. Heres a shot of my cub cadet cylinder mounted on a slight angle.
[img]http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv227/Smilinsam/more%20tractor%20stuff/001-4.jpg[/img]
As you can see I spaced the end on the axle steering bracket up around 1 3/4", and that was after I cut the end off the steering and turned the lip up and welding it back on. I also ended up shortening the bracket some and drilling a new hole just behind where the original hole was. Have mowed the yard with it for a couple hours and found no troubles with the steering as the tractor travels over uneven terrain turning either way on a sharply angled slope. Nor does it contatct the frame during max movement of the axle.

GLPointon
Nice job Sam, I like the idea of raising up the axle end and mounting the other end closer to the running board with a Stud Mount rather than the big yellow Cub bracket mine has. I cant wait to get back to mine...I just ordered the last of my hydro hoses and fittings for my loader project then back to this one...along with the Garden, cutting firewood, Home repair, car repair...blah..blah..sm00

GLPointon
After 2 months...I'm very happy to get back to this project. This is gonna be my new main "Worker" tractor... I just picked up my Hydraulic hoses I had made for the Power Steering conversion. It takes 6 hoses with a cost of over $200+ from Simplicity. But with a bit of research (to find all the sizes) I got them made for MUCH less.

I'm getting the chassis ready for a paint job. I will install all the hoses to check their fit, then remove them for paint...

More to come...

goodtimo
this is looking great! We bought our 7116 new and it steered like a log wagon from day 1, much harder than our 4040 and the 3000 series we had before it. When I replaced the spindle bushings years later, I found out the spindle assembly was bent. Must have fallen off a trailer or something and was causing the hard steering. Wish we had your ingenuity to attempt a power steering on ours. Keep up the good work! -Tim
quote:
Originally posted by GLPointon
After 2 months...I'm very happy to get back to this project. This is gonna be my new main "Worker" tractor... I just picked up my Hydraulic hoses I had made for the Power Steering conversion. It takes 6 hoses with a cost of over $200+ from Simplicity. But with a bit of research (to find all the sizes) I got them made for MUCH less.
[img]/club2/attach/GLPointon/DSCI3214.JPG[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/GLPointon/DSCI3215.JPG[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/GLPointon/DSCI3220.JPG[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/GLPointon/DSCI3221.JPG[/img]
I'm getting the chassis ready for a paint job. I will install all the hoses to check their fit, then remove them for paint...
[img]/club2/attach/GLPointon/DSCI3218.JPG[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/GLPointon/DSCI3219.JPG[/img]
More to come...

GLPointon
As I said before I'm going to convert this 7116H to a GTH-L Sovereign complete with all the newer Paint, Decals, Power Steering, etc...So here is the paints I'm using. I don't have the silver Wheel paint yet.

I set up an area outback to use the new SandBlaster (had to run like 100' of airhose) pic below is all the protective gear you MUST wear if you value your life...

The Sandblaster won't cut through the heavy decals with the sand I'm using...

The torch and a sharp scraper always does good...

Here's some replacements I found 6 weeks ago online for missing/damaged parts

SENIOR MOMENT: I've searched my shop twice & can't find the grill screen anywhere ?/#!@%% most likely recycled it in the cardboard it came in dz More to come...

GLPointon
Thanks John, I am keeping the 16hp Briggs. I would love to go with a twin but I have several 16's sitting here. The Power steering hoses I had made are a bit longer than OEM since my steering valve is cut off a bit shorter than the Simplicity one. If you want the sizes of MY hoses I can get that for you after Tues. (I left the tablet at work) I found the OEM hose sizes by finding the part #'s for each hose then Google'ing that # till I found a supplier that lists the lengths of each....Was quicker than it sounds. But if I find those lengths I'll post them too sm01

MysTiK

[img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/GLPointon/DSCI3283.JPG[/img]
Nooby wannabe painter here, Greg. What happened with this part? - it was orange, >>> [?? then white? or grey? ??] <<< - and then black. I don't get the white or grey part, and how you decide what gets what. I've seen a few pieces go through this color change, like way back in the thread, a running board was orange, and then got touched up with white, etc. I imagine these are primers? But there's more to it than that it seems. Maybe for rust? or filler? Really enjoying the tour. thanx. dOd Graham .

GLPointon
Graham the "white/grey" you see is primer. Anytime you repaint you need to sand the old paint till your thru the dirty layer, then prime, then lightly sand and prime again, then paint. If you use Enamal paint like me then you must give 2 or 3 coats before it dries (or it will crackle) "paint wet-on-wet" and you'll have a nice GLOSSY paint job sm01 The orange frame being painted black is due to the "name change" going on...I'm turning this 7116H into a GTH-L Sovereign. wch [Good questions]

MysTiK
Thanks for the explanation and the quick lesson, Greg. It's very helpful to see the process. Wowee. sm01 dOd also my 'rocket dialup' actually got all these pix. I better not log off and clear temp files. 8D Have fun.

Sign in to follow this