Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

1918 Deutz mulching help

heron

Just got my father in laws tractor to him. 419 hours, very good shape, I tuned it up changed all oils, filters, greased and cut for the first time...Wow, the Magnum likes to lug and seems to have more spunk then my 20 Command in my Sunstar. Anyway, he is accustomed to a MTD Yardman(blah) but was hoping to have this one mulch the grass up a bit better. I saw one here somewhere that somebody used what looked like a piece of heavy rubber and bolted it to the end of the deck without the chute on. Any ideas on how to help this thing mulch? BTW; deck is perfect, blades are on correctly and sharp. When I picked up the chute it did much better as far as spreading the grass out but then it made it really dusty and covered the intakes on the hood.

If you have a 48" deck. You can get Gator Blades for it. They make the clippings smaller. Been using them for 10 years and won`t go back to OEM blades. Seem to stay sharper longer as well.

RayS: From Jacks? Do you happen to know part numbers? Is it worth taking off the new blades..in other words, is that significant? I hate for him to drop the addl. money and not be able to tell much difference. TY

I never thought gators were worth the money, till I tried a set... Last fall in the wet, my grass got too high a couple times. I don't rake so I had the brown ugly clippings all over the yard. I used gators for 2 mowings and the clippings all but disappeared. On a lawn that is always mowed on time, I don't think you will ever see clippings if you use gators all the time. I would say they take normally 3 to 4 inch long clippings down to less than an inch :D:D Just my opinion;)

Not off hand. They have a downloadable catalog. Below is the catalog. Just cross it to your simplicity number. http://www.oregonchain.com/pro/pdf/OREGON_BladesByOEM.pdf

Some things you mentioned in other thread raise concerns for me. I think you said the property was several acres; and also mentioned your father does not like to clean under deck. I think mulching might lead to greater buildup under deck; so the idea of blocking the chute, or adding a mulch kit if available, might "fill" the deck faster, causing mowing results problems sooner. Grass clippings all break down naturally over time. Mulching can be a cleaner mow; but only noticeable near house or walkways etc. I don't mulch - so what do I know.? I think it's over-rated. And like your dad, I don't like cleaning decks either. Just my thoughts; based on complaints I have heard from others who do mulch. I could be wrong for your purposes. But if the grass gets too tall, it will cause a greater "tendency" to clog, or accumulate, etc. Grass needs to escape from the deck; and if the chute is closed, it can only come out the bottom. At that point, deck height off the ground is in play, and that relates to mowing height. Large commercial mowers, made for multi acre mows, tend not to use mulchers. AFAIK. (no problem w gators however)