Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

BGB Pulley Question

bowhunt4life

I picked up a 67 B-10 and was putting my 8" drive pulley on and bigger belt and noticed on the passenger side of the BGB there is a pulley with a solid magnet like ring on it. (See Pic Below), this solid ring spins quite freely, is this normal? [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v374/55chevy/2012-04-29_194229.jpg[/IMG] When I put the belt on, a 44" belt, and depressed the clutch I couldn't get the BGB pulley to stop spinning to put the Tractor into gear. I adjusted the clutch and same thing the BGB pulley won't stop spinning because the belt is still spinning. I picked up a 45" belt today to try that.

No...your missing the nylon thrust washer in there. They are still available from Jack's. All your clutches should have one in there. There is one that wraps around under that side of the pulley, and another that is like a slim disc, and fits between the pulley and that disc like shim, shown in a nickel-like finish in your pic above. Also, the BGB pulley always spins with the tractor running...your belt stops will help in keeping the belt from catching and turning your driven pulley on the trans.

I'm sorry I meant the 8" pulley to stop spinning it seemed the BGB pulley kept the belt spinning. I took the 8" pulley off and put the 6" and belt back on and finished mowing. Since it mows should I just not worry about it? Thanks, Chris

Hmmm...if it's just a matter of when the 8" pulley is on, I'd say belt length or belt guides need somethin. Either way, that ring should not spin freely. It is there to keep that half the pulley from spinning. Mine will burn the belt (slips) and even give up all together on a grade once that nylon has worn down and things start to spin. I'm suprised it's not noticable that the clutch is popping or the belt slipping when she pulls.

It ran fine with the 6" pulley and the belt didn't slip one bit. I'm gonna try the 8" pulley again tonight with a belt 45" belt versus a 44" belt when I originally put it on and see what happens. I may just pick up a new outside assembly, there is on one fleabay off a simplicity 2012. Thanks, Chris

The idea of that part is to allow a little give to the startup 'stick' when the belt bites. When the tension of the belt moves it outward against the friction material it should effectively be no different than a normal solid pulley but with less jolt. Industry term is sometimes called a 'slipper clutch'. If the friction material is where it should be and the belt is as it should be, the belt should not settle all the way to the bottom of the groove. The factory Simp belt is not the standard 5/8 profile although it is similar. On my main trac, the metal part actually went out of spec on the inner face so I ended up going solid pulley unfortunately. The operation is decidedly more sensitive than the stock arrangement, so if you can retain it by all means do.

Hi, The guard that is tipped forward in your pic is the belt stop/guide that helps to brake the belt. It should sort of "wrap" around the pulley and be close to the belt on the top and bottom. When the belt is released, it should spring out against the guide and brake the belt. Al Eden