Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

BGB in and out play on driveshaft

DaveTenney

I just picked up a 1978 7016 Sovereign Hydro and am on the fence on whether to fix it or part it out.

It isn't too bad of a machine...Motor was rebuilt (.010 and crank turned .020) but not running. I pulled it apart to verify this and everything internal looks very nice. It has an electric lift, a nice 42" deck, and a leaf vacuum minus the hoses. The thing that concerns me about putting this thing back together and selling it (or keeping it) is that it has 1/16" in and out play on the drive shaft side of the BGB. I knew this when I bought it, so it isn't a surprise. I don't really play much with RB tractors, so bear with me...How much of an issue is this? Is there a way to shim the play out of it? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Dave

I wouldn't worry to much about 1/16 end play. You can remove the split pully and add a thin washer to take up some slack,but I wouldn't mess with that small amount. Just MHO

The side to side endplay can be adjusted with shims # 19 and 20 could be more or less depending on the box. See diagram below. But you could pull off the rear cover and look inside to verify that the bevel gears are not moving in and out close to the point they might disengage. if you loose contact under load gears can strip. I had a pair like that once :(
[img]/club2/attach/GregB/bgb.jpg[/img]

I wouldn't waist your time fixing that out of date tractor 8Dyou should just give it to me and I will put it out of its misery I have a great place to lay it to rest :D

Thanks for the info guys...As soon as I get the motor back in it and take it for a spin I guess I'll make a final decision on what I'm gonna do. It sounds like shimming it may be an option. Greg, if you were closer tome I'd buy those "B" decks you have for sale! You're just a bit too far from Ohio for me to make the trip. Thanks again, Dave

quote:
Originally posted by sliderxc
I wouldn't waist your time fixing that out of date tractor 8Dyou should just give it to me and I will put it out of its misery I have a great place to lay it to rest :D
This is what I was thinking, but never would have posted myself. I'd like to trip across a 7016/7116 near me, but I have to admit I'm not thrilled about rebuilding one right now. Guess I don't have true tractor fever!