Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

possible 738 repower

mechanicpsyco

The salesman i work with has a tractor supply riding mower that has a 16.5 horse with pressurized lube. I have done a 14hp on a 738 but nothing this big. Would love the extra power. I remember I did have to move the fuel tank back about an inch and open up the grill for the plug and some of the head. should of took the lean out of it and spaced it out. I mow here , 2 acres, and a few neighbors yards. No with this small cut it isnt a high production operation. But everyone loves the way it makes their yard look. I have one other 738 and will probably start on this Sunday (no rest for the wicked, 60 plus hours a week). Just kicking it around to see what everyone thinks. I think it may be worth it, how about you. And by the way, I got out of this for almost ten years and I blame all of you for getting me back into it. I was down to one mower, a husky, it got stolen from my garage, went to buy a cheap mower and it was a 738, now i have three simplicities and I guess I do have a problem!! Thanks, I think!!

Haha, I like it when blame is a good thing LOL. There's a guy here that has an 18hp engine in a Yeoman, the Broadmoors little brother. I figure as long as you get the right size pulleys on there, you should be good to go. Make sure you use the belt stops too. They are the 3/16" wire thingys under the engine that separate the belt from the pulleys when you step on the brake/clutch.

I did a 12.5hp on a flat hood Broadmoor and as you say. I "demanufactured" the fire wall(tank mount) and moved it back with 3/8 strips. The 717 and earlier round hood broadmoor it seems would take the bigger engines without mod since the gas tank mount is on the rear of the tank. It does eat up the room to get your hand in for the gas shutoff.

I have to respond with the only word I can, SEXY!!. I hope my holes come out that clean. No beer and be careful marking this weekend!! The pic was inspirational!!