Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

20 hp SunStar

brider

Just got pics of a 20-hp Sunstar a guy is selling with a 60-in deck and snow/dirt blade. He says it has 647 hrs on it. It looks pretty straight and clean, and has the rear PTO option. What IS that big lever on the left side of the deck? Is that a deck height adjustment? Is this tractor a lever-controlled hydro, or foot-controlled? I need a mowing deck, but not a 60-in deck. Was there a Sunstar-specific smaller (42"? 48"?) deck available? What would a be good ballpark figure $$ for it?

Welcome to the forum. sm03 In good shape, w a 60deck, dozerBlade, rearPTO - a good price? that's personal - but a lot of them go 2K+ That 60" deck might be worth 500-800 in good shape. That dozer blade 300-400 in good shape. That's 800 right there. Tractor only 1000-1200+ my guess. Should have dual-brake controls. Should have pow steering. and ??? o yeh, some had rear diff lock (varied w year) and I think hydraulic lift for attachs. Attachments are "shaft" drive. (deck, etc.?) I think the engines might have varied also ???? (help) what did I forget. others will have experience with these. If he's asking less than 15, give him the money, and a kiss. :D Sell the deck and get a 48. Note that the included features varied with what year - and the presence or absence of certain features can be used to narrow down what year it is - or, also paint schemes changed with year. I forget exactly - they were made over some 10+ years like 87-97ish. I have never owned one. They are pretty close to being a "compact". Others can fill in the blanks. that's info just off the top of my head. 8)

Hand control for the hydro and the big handle is for the deck height. I have one in the classifieds for 1000.00

Hey, they are very nice machines, and definitely worth getting if in your price range. The 20 HP models have the diff lock, they are a hand lever controlled hydro, and yes that is the height adjustment. After cutting with my Ultima (sunstar), I don't want to go back to the other allis tractors, the power steering is too nice. And I gave $500 for mine, but i got real lucky. I've seen the rear pto's sell for somewhere around $300 on ebay.. Not sure what's wrong with my machine, but it keeps chewing up the front PTO belts

Thanks for the info. It's a 20-hp, dual-brake, locking diff, rear-pto model. Asking south of $1500. It's too much tractor for me, won't ever use that rear PTO, and I need a 48" deck, but I would use it's HP to pull logs and mow high brushy areas and push brush/debris around.

quote:
Originally posted by wilm169
Hand control for the hydro and the big handle is for the deck height. I have one in the classifieds for 1000.00
Didn't see your classified ad; where are you located?

quote:
Originally posted by brider
Too bad you're too far away!
Yeh, really. But the pricing is kinda similar; esp. w a lil negotiation. As they say, it's only worth what you are willing to pay. I think it would be good for tasks you outlined - esp. with a set of AG tires. It would be at least interesting to go see it. When I went to view my 716H, I was intent on buying. I gathered some info and went to meet the man. I gave it a hard look, checked some stuff. Turned out he was in a hurry, had some appointment to keep. I looked at him and said 'what's your price?' - and the price dropped, like kaboom, right now. I looked at him for 5 seconds, and gave him the money. but I never kissed him. :D Ya never know the sell price until it happens. And you can always say thanx and walk away. But it's up to you; there's always another one coming to a theater near you.

The 20hp units had primarily Kohler engines, the older models the M20, the newer ones the C20. The main thing with the engines is to make sure they are getting proper cooling, (air flow not blocked). Make sure to lube the often overlooked front u-joint on the driveshaft. Price is not out of line and with a little effort, you could sell off what you don't need,(PTO, blade) sell or trade your deck for a 48" and have a great machine at an even more reasonable price.

• 3 weeks later...
quote:
Sell the deck and get a 48.
Why? Does the 60" not work as well? Curious, since my 48" is in bad shape and I've been looking for a 60" to replace it.

60" decks work very nice if the rollers are in good shape. the biggest problem is usually the space people are cutting and like me the deck won't go through the door on my shed. The other problem is that collection systems don't work with the 60's. Too much grass coming for them to handle.