Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
bowhunt4life

67 B10 Head Gasket Question

bowhunt4life
I brought home this 67 B-10 on Sunday. Mowed and ran just fine after a few adjustments. [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v374/55chevy/2012-05-01193210.jpg[/IMG] Then today after work I had the bright idea to clean out the debris and stuff around the motor and steering gears. In order to get all the debris I took off the grill. When I took off the grill I pulled the two head bolts to remove the grill bracket. Well after letting things dry I went to start up the tractor but forgot to tighten the two head bolts back down and POP!!!! Now the mower won't start and I hear and fell air popping out the area around the two head bolts. Tightened them down and still the popping sucking air sound. I suspect I fouled up the head gasket???? I have a spare which will go on tomorrow after work but wanted any thoughts. Thanks, Chris

Willy
You can soak your head in carb cleaner desolves the carbon. (Soak the engines head,not your head):D When ever I remove a head I like to check it to make sure it isn't warped. I take a piece of glass and lay a piece of sand paper on it then I lay the head flat and rub it back and forth using a lite pressure. Then you can see if it made contact clear around.

bowhunt4life
Well I pulled the head, cleaned the carbon from the head, cleaned up the valves and piston. The old gasket had blown right where I failed to tighten the bolts. replaced gasket, slowly tightened in star pattern and torqued to 16 foot lbs. Started right up and ran like a champ, whew!!!! She's gonna cut the grass tomorrow.