Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
joelk

48" Deck belt vibration

joelk
My 48" deck on my 3112H has a belt vibration that comes and goes on a few second interval (belt from PTO to Deck). It make a loud humming sound and you can see the vibration in the belt. Took deck off and covers and all is well inside. Loosened deck belt to check each of the three bearing and all is well. The bearing on the PTO seems and sounds ok. BGB has a little play when rotating PTO pully back and forth. I just put new simplicity belts on deck to PTO and on PTO itself last fall. The spring is stretched pretty hard when PTO is engaged, which I chalked up to the new belts. Any thoughts on what is causing this? I'm about to just use it as my yard is in need, but wanted to avoid any damage. Thanks for your help.

MysTiK
I don't know specifics of 3112. I know my 716 has a tension release lever near left rear wheel, to make belt/pto/deck install and removal easier. I also know there's something wrong with it; it won't always stay in engaged position (not reliable). So I cheat, and use wire or a bungee to hold it up and engaged, with no problem. There was a spring on it that seemed either foreign or bad fit, so I removed it, and simply supported the lever w bungee. works for now. Just a thought. Other thoughts. After a month of trying cheap belts on my Simp Pacer, and trashing 3 of them, I bought 1 Simp belt, and that was some 3+ years ago. When I look at belts during operation, I see the belt vibrating, and it's all too scary, so I just ignore it, and nothing goes wrong. 8) My 48" deck on the 716 always makes a humming sound like OHMMMMMMM but it's constant (with rpm). I suppose a belt under tension could be like a guitar string; and variation could play a "wee chune". Are you sure you have the right size belt? Are the other pulleys ok, and is the belt routed properly? Are there any belt guides? or should there be??? dem's my tots.

joelk
Thanks MysTiK, The belts are routed correctly and I bought simplicity belts using the simpletractors as resource. The belt inside the deck is a not new and I have not sharpened/balanced the blades yet this year, so maybe one of those is a possibility?

joelk
Thanks BLT, This tractor is a 3212H and my deck is from a 3112H (single belt). I brought the PTO from the 3112H to mate up with single belt deck, but am not sure if I switched the big tensioning spring from the 3112. Do you think they are different?

joelk
Dang! That is not what I wanted to hear, but I think that is probably going to be my problem as well. Thanks for your input osenga. I need to decide if I should rebuild this one or take from my other tractor that has broken axel tube (but still funtional as plow tractor).

joelk
Hey Bob, thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what you mean by rear disc. Is that the back plate on the BGB? Can that be taken off and inspected while still on the tractor? I had my old one completely off before, but that was a lot of work.

DanD
I have noticed that on my new Sovereign, the drive belt will make some noise when running with the mower in the raised position. The tension and routing are correct. It is much less pronounced with the Simplicity belt I installed than the aftermarket belt that was on it when I got the tractor. However, my 7016 never has this problem at all. The 7016 does have a little different belt tightening system than the newer Sovereign, however. Neither of my tractors seems to bother the way Mystic describes, though. The tension release lever always stays in the engaged position with nothing holding it. (I'm knocking on my fake wood computer desk as I write this!)

MysTiK
From the original post: quote: "The spring is stretched pretty hard when PTO is engaged, which I chalked up to the new belts". 1/ what spring are you talking about? 2/ I don't think there is much stretch over time with simp belts - maybe there is; but I think the backing on the belt won't stretch much. So, if you think it will stretch longer over time; I doubt it. Anyone know for sure? If it won't, then maybe it really is like a guitar string playing a wee chune. And if you are mixing decks and tractors, etc., are they all same fit? I am thinking perhaps a custom-fitted belt, slightly longer.?? (just a 2nd thought) @ DanD quote: "The tension release lever always stays in the engaged position with nothing holding it". That's a good thing. Mine is definitely toasted, maybe bent, worn, abused, not sure - but there's one on my parts tractor, and I can feel it kinda "softly click into place". But I don't feel that click happening on my main tractor, it moves into position, and a tiny little bungee holds it - for now - been like that for a year. It's as if it might stay in position - bungee just makes sure it doesn't release, inflight.

joelk
Thanks Bob, now I understand what you mean. I'll check it out. MysTiK, The spring is the same one you are referring too, under left rear axel used to allow easy belt change and then re-apply pressure tot he belt once deck is on. The belt from PTO to mower deck was 8 to 10 years old was a Simplicity belt. It definately was stretched out when compared to the new one.

joelk
Good thought Scott, I did replace the idler on the PTO a few years back. I love all the ideas from others based on experience, it really helps trouble shooting and not shooting yourself in the foot.

FlashandFlare
My late model Sovereign made a similar vibration noise as you talk about, mine turned out to be the excessively sharpened blades, now I don't mean they were razor sharp, I mean the blades had been sharpened by the previous owner 100 times past an acceptable limit, they were only about 1/2in wide at the cutting edge area and were also not balanced very well.

MysTiK
Brand new Simp blades are not "razor sharp". I know some people who insist of having them sharpened. My dealer said it's not necessary. It's more about maintaining the original shape of the edge. I try to sharpen to a 'strong edge' that got some steel on it to stand up to the abuse. Razor sharp will never last; it's too thin, and the edge will crumble away. I was just thinking if razor sharp were a good thing, they would install razor blades instead of massive steel blades. That's extreme; but it's presents an interesting picture. Maintaining the beveled edge makes more sense to me - especially when I consider some of the junk that I process through the deck - dirt, sticks, stuff just happens - so much for the gillette special. The other worry with blades is the wings wearing away with sandblasting under the deck; the wings crack; then they can break off, and go fly like bullet or shrapnel. Back on topic - there's another recent thread here; I will find and link to it. It's about 3000-series machines and lubing the shaft and needle bearings in the middle pto (deck drive) to prevent wear, vibration, etc. This could be another possible source of vibration if shaft is worn. 1 sec. I don't know if this is unique to 3000-series or others as well. see the thread for further info, if presented.? Here it is: "Needle Bearings" http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=121395

FlashandFlare
MysTik Maybe you mistook what I was trying to convey. My original blades that came on my tractor had been sharpened to many times(removed to much metal from the blade/sever neck down of the original shape/dangerously thin blade tips. I bought 2 new sets, one OEM set and one set of Gator blades and my oscillating vibration went away.

MysTiK
quote:
Originally posted by FlashandFlare
MysTik Maybe you mistook what I was trying to convey. My original blades that came on my tractor had been sharpened to many times(removed to much metal from the blade/sever neck down of the original shape/dangerously thin blade tips. I bought 2 new sets, one OEM set and one set of Gator blades and my oscillating vibration went away.
Flash and Flare, Understood. The first time. In fact, I have seen exactly that condition where the blade steel is sharpened away to the point where there's not much left of it. Hitting a rock could break it off. Half of the original steel is totally gone. That was on a friends commercial mower. He sharpened daily. Most of his blades were as you describe, or close to it. But he did balance blades. Out of balance would be a source of vibration, not to mention possible bearing wear, eventual housing wear, etc. And such worn out blades with reduced mass would probly be more vulnerable to being out of balance. Plus the balancing process removes even more metal. I understand. Good point. My intent was to further your point. No problem. Perhaps my wording could have been better. Thx for clarification.