Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
midnightpumpkin

Powermax deck spindle end play

Cityboy
Mine has quite a bit(maybe 1/4 to 3/8 inch). There is a spring on the bottom of the arbor assembly that allows for up/down motion. I was told that this was a safety feature if you hit something (allowing the blade to move up slightly). My deck had been worked on before I got it, and the assembly was incorrect. I hope it's right now! Good luck. Dave

MysTiK
Cityboy, that's interesting. Never heard of it before. Only thing I did hear was that a 16th of an inch is pretty normal. I am assuming end play means vertical play in the shaft itself? I view deck spindles as a weird sandwich, and perhaps a little crude when it comes to play perhaps being an issue - but a total lack of play may also be an issue. The older ones with tube-like housings, I don't know. But the newer, probably more common ones, use more cone-shaped housings. Those housings aren't thick heavy items resistant to bending or shaping; and it's perhaps intended that there be play. The fit happens, or doesn't, when the uppers and lowers are tightened together - it may not be controllable; but may be a function of how accurately the bearing fit to the sleave, on the shaft itself, between upper and lower bearings. From what I experienced, that sleeve is not removable, and offers adequate precision. That's my guess. It would take a rebuild to find out if any improvement is possible. Another thought - is it possible that the amount of gasket seal used between the upper and lower housings, where they join, where they get bolted on, is a factor in end play? Excess gasket could perhaps increase the distance between the top of the upper housing, and the bottom of the lower housing - which would alter end play. Those are the bearing support surfaces. Or am I missing something? If this is true, it draws attention to the quantity of gasket seal used, and also to delay time in tightening bolts. Those factors are hard to exactly reproduce, esp. in the home garage. I could be wrong. Never thought about it before. I find spindles to be quite fascinating - esp. this patented design used by Simplicity/Allis. my 2 cents.

dhardin
Less play the better, but not tight. To much play is inviting the lower end to get dirt and grass in it. That spring and cup and seal at the bottom just don't last. 1/16 to 1/8th is nice but that can not be obtained unless you get some machine washes to go under the top nut. When greasing the spindle I was told to lift the blade and spindle shaft up as you pump grease in it. This will force grease up to the thrust bearing. Other wise your just running grease down and out the bottom.