Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
rich_kildow

Double Checking 7116 Lubricant

rich_kildow
I just took delivery of my "new" 7116 with vac, cart, front blade, blower, and 48" deck. She runs great, especially for having sat for 2 years. I'm giving everything a once over and replacing all the lubes, but am not quite sure what to use in the BGB and tranny. The manual says "multipurpose powertrain oil" for the BGB and the trans says "multipurpose hydraulic/transmission oil, Type F ATF, or 821. I have read a ton of posts and it sounds like you can use universal hydraulic oil in both, something like these: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/MYS0/HYD2/N0419.oap?ck=Search_hydraulic+oil_-1_1541&keyword=hydraulic+oil http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/360896-jt5_universal_trans_hydraulic_fluid.html#.T6JpVbNSRoc I have also read to go with 75W or 80W-90 gear oil in the BGB and ATF in the trans. I'm in Wisconsin and plan on using this to move snow, so a loud BGB with 90 weight is a concern if that is true. I like the idea of using the same thing in both. Does it matter which way I go?

sliderxc
run 80/90 synthetic in the BGB this way you would have a noisy BGB in winter I have 2 tractors and run synthetic in both BGB and rears they are 6 speeds hi lo and no problems in any weather

MysTiK
Me too. ATF in the hydro. 80-90 Gear Oil in bgb. I think that's an interesting idea - using a different bgb fluid for winter. Some manuals on some models recommend ATF in the BGB. (or so I have heard here). I don't quite get that; but I can see it being a possibility for winter use in "freeze temperatures". It's a similar idea to running summer oil SAE30 in the motor; and 5w20 in the winter cold. Straight 30 gets too thick esp. for starting the engine in winter. Synthetic oils are another world, and I am only beginning to research those. It seems that some different theory applies; and I need more info on all that. Most info I have seen is laced with marketing. Also, re the bgb fluid - I imagine some heat is created in normal ops, but how much? and is it enough to warm the oil in winter? The location of the bgb is far away from engine heat. In any case, a warmup period is a good idea; but really some hard theory or evidence is needed. That's where manufacturers specing the use of ATF in a bgb might be an indicator perhaps. The jury remains out in my world. Hey, Rich - welcome to the club. sm01 You are in the best place to get help with your 7116. There are many threads dealing with lube ideas; not to mention, you name it, everything else you have not yet imagined.

rich_kildow
Thanks for the warm welcome! She is up and running now with a new idler pulley and belts. I ended up with Gates PowerRated belts from O'reilly just to get it going, so we'll see how long they last. It just needs a few things buttoned up like the bolts and clamps on the vac system, a set of mulching blades, and an oil change. Should the PTO cone clutch scream like a banshee for a second when it engages? I'm upgrading from a craftsman with an electric PTO clutch which was all but silent, so I might just need to get used to it. It engages strong and powers the blower/deck just fine, so I don't think it is slipping or anything.

rich_kildow
Ardisam, we are indeed. I'm looking to add a hydrolift after I round up a few more minor parts and wouldn't mind seeing one of your machines if it has that on it.

MysTiK
RE cone clutch screaming like a banshee. I usually ease the lever forward to the point where the deck is noticeably spinning, and then I ease the lever the rest of the way to full engage. It seems to me that it's kinda like the clutch in an auto w manual trans - you can dump the clutch to make the tires scream like a banshee. Eclectic clutch is all of nothing - what squeals on those is usually the belts slipping for a half second. Clutch itself might do some squeals, esp. when disengaging which causes braking action to stop the blades asap for safety reasons. Back to the cone clutch - I usually engage at fairly low rpm or throttle, maybe 1/3 throttle roughly. And when disengaging, I drop engine rpm to idle speed, then disengage w lever. Basically I imagine I am babying the clutch. That's what I do on my Allis 716H. I also have a Simp Pacer w electric eclectic clutch. I engage that not at the factory recommended full throttle; but more at almost 1/2 throttle. I have tried it at idle speed; but there's a strong sense of slam-stalling the engine like dead weight, which could be damaging. I rarely run anything full throttle - it never seems necessary to me. Just more gas and noise. You need good blade speed on a deck to cut clean and promote air flow to provide adequate "lift" on the actual blades of grass - hold em up, and slice w sharp blades. (that's more than what you asked for).sm03

MysTiK
quote:
Originally posted by MysTiK
RE cone clutch screaming like a banshee. I usually ease the lever forward to the point where the deck is noticeably spinning, and then I ease the lever the rest of the way to full engage. It seems to me that it's kinda like the clutch in an auto w manual trans - you can dump the clutch to make the tires scream like a banshee. Eclectic clutch is all of nothing - what squeals on those is usually the belts slipping for a half second. Clutch itself might do some squeals, esp. when disengaging which causes braking action to stop the blades asap for safety reasons. Back to the cone clutch - I usually engage at fairly low rpm or throttle, maybe 1/3 throttle roughly. And when disengaging, I drop engine rpm to idle speed, then disengage w lever. Basically I imagine I am babying the clutch. That's what I do on my Allis 716H. I also have a Simp Pacer w electric eclectic clutch. I engage that not at the factory recommended full throttle; but more at almost 1/2 throttle. I have tried it at idle speed; but there's a strong sense of slam-stalling the engine like dead weight, which could be damaging. I rarely run anything full throttle - it never seems necessary to me. Just more gas and noise. You need good blade speed on a deck to cut clean and promote air flow to provide adequate "lift" on the actual blades of grass - hold em up, and slice w sharp blades. (that's more than what you asked for).sm03