Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Clarification

Del

Based on what I've read,not any specific info in the X-ref table itself, the LTs aren't meant for "ground-engaging" implements like plows or tillers. Example 608LT is essentially a riding mower, but tractor style, not rear-engine. Another general difference is the LTs usually had vertical crankshaft engines, the GTs were horizontal crankshaft, thus direct power to any PTO or drive pulley...

BUT -- this is my interpretation only....

I agree with Kent on the direction of the crankshaft and would like to ad cast iron front axle and bolt on rear wheels along with the ability to handle the ground engaging tools. Steve

Quite simply and as the name implies garden tractors are those which are capable of tilling the ground due to their transmission design. The early Simplicity Broadmoor is such with a cast iron transmission but note its vertical B&S aluminum engine and 8" rear tires. Typically today though they do use larger tires and horizontal engines as previously stated.

All garden tractors that I know of are on 12 inch or bigger rims. The way I define tractors is Garden Tractors== Tractors that are designed for heavy duty work and will accept most attachments made by the manifacturer. Yard Tractors==Lighter units that will accept only light snow blades, trailers, small tillers, and other light duty attachments. Lawn tractors==Mostly used for mowing. Not designed for ground engaging tools. Most yard tractors and lawn tractors have the smaller wheels and tires.

As my esteemed friend Jeff stated a garden trac. will do more than mow grass till snowplow etc The "stuff" they sell at discount chains is NOT garden tracs.They are primarilly lawn tracs. It used to be any co. that made big ag equip also produced well made garden tracs. AC/CASE/IH/JD etc.This still proves true Even Sears at one time made a good garden trac,Suburban in 60s-70s.Also if it has a horizontal eng it's probably a garden trac. Regards dlcent99