Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
eugenedrago

Simplicity Update SHE IS HAPPY NOW!

eugenedrago
For those of you who followed the post on my tractor, she is finally happy now!! I believe the coil was the issue all along. I can't rule out some of the other things I did (while I had the motor out) may have played a part. I want to thank you all yet again for your input on her. I am really, really glad she is up and running like it should. The new rings as expected got rid of the puffs of blue/grey smoke on throttle up. She Is perfect. I will try to post a vid of her up and running. THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP!!!!! ;) Gene. P.S. The only thing now is that the starter gen seems to run hot. Is this normal?

ReedS
Starter/generators do produce some heat. I would, however to be on the safe side check your output amperage and voltage. If it's overcharging it'll ruin the battery and possibly the s/g as well!

BLT
quote:
Originally posted by eugenedrago
P.S. The only thing now is that the starter gen seems to run hot. Is this normal?
The SG is a sealed unit and they do get warm due to no cooling. That is why it has a low amp output rate. Watch the ameter. If it always shows a high amp output on a good battery, then the regulator isn't cutting back its charge rate.

MysTiK
Nice to hear good news. sm01 Sorry I haven't found the original thread yet; but it's great to hear happy happy happy. Also, other people can benefit from your participation. dats swatits alla bout, eh!

timflury
quote:
Originally posted by MysTiK
Sorry I haven't found the original thread yet; but it's great to hear happy happy happy.
Graham,,,,, A little tip, click on a member's username to see previous posts by them. They'll be below the members pictures.

MysTiK
quote:
Originally posted by timflury
quote:
Originally posted by MysTiK
Sorry I haven't found the original thread yet; but it's great to hear happy happy happy.
Graham,,,,, A little tip, click on a member's username to see previous posts by them. They'll be below the members pictures.
Thanks Tim, I did not know that. I need all the little tips I can get. EDIT = oic. there's quite a few of them. I didn't know those were posts; I thought maybe they were just visits, or "reads". thx, again.

eugenedrago
Hey Bob, I do not have a amp meter on this model tractor, I will be adding one in the future. The only thing I could think of as a quick test was to disconnect the ground wire from the battery and run a light(12v) to the positive term from it. The light gets brighter and dimmer with the throttle response. I am guessing this is normal and everything is working. ? I am not that good with electrical systems or diagnostics. I only know that they run on smoke. Because every time I let the smoke out of anything electrical they never run again. lol Had to through a little humor in. Thanks for your help as always! Gene.