Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity Update SHE IS HAPPY NOW!

eugenedrago

For those of you who followed the post on my tractor, she is finally happy now!! I believe the coil was the issue all along. I can't rule out some of the other things I did (while I had the motor out) may have played a part. I want to thank you all yet again for your input on her. I am really, really glad she is up and running like it should. The new rings as expected got rid of the puffs of blue/grey smoke on throttle up. She Is perfect. I will try to post a vid of her up and running. THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP!!!!! ;) Gene. P.S. The only thing now is that the starter gen seems to run hot. Is this normal?

Starter/generators do produce some heat. I would, however to be on the safe side check your output amperage and voltage. If it's overcharging it'll ruin the battery and possibly the s/g as well!

quote:
Originally posted by eugenedrago
P.S. The only thing now is that the starter gen seems to run hot. Is this normal?
The SG is a sealed unit and they do get warm due to no cooling. That is why it has a low amp output rate. Watch the ameter. If it always shows a high amp output on a good battery, then the regulator isn't cutting back its charge rate.

Nice to hear good news. sm01 Sorry I haven't found the original thread yet; but it's great to hear happy happy happy. Also, other people can benefit from your participation. dats swatits alla bout, eh!

quote:
Originally posted by MysTiK
Sorry I haven't found the original thread yet; but it's great to hear happy happy happy.
Graham,,,,, A little tip, click on a member's username to see previous posts by them. They'll be below the members pictures.

quote:
Originally posted by timflury
quote:
Originally posted by MysTiK
Sorry I haven't found the original thread yet; but it's great to hear happy happy happy.
Graham,,,,, A little tip, click on a member's username to see previous posts by them. They'll be below the members pictures.
Thanks Tim, I did not know that. I need all the little tips I can get. EDIT = oic. there's quite a few of them. I didn't know those were posts; I thought maybe they were just visits, or "reads". thx, again.

Hey Bob, I do not have a amp meter on this model tractor, I will be adding one in the future. The only thing I could think of as a quick test was to disconnect the ground wire from the battery and run a light(12v) to the positive term from it. The light gets brighter and dimmer with the throttle response. I am guessing this is normal and everything is working. ? I am not that good with electrical systems or diagnostics. I only know that they run on smoke. Because every time I let the smoke out of anything electrical they never run again. lol Had to through a little humor in. Thanks for your help as always! Gene.