Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

cracked axle tube

navysalt

Seems I have some how cracked the axle tube on my simplicity 7016 with a hydro transmissiom,How do I remove the tube from the gear case.Thanks for any an all help.

You need to download the repair manual first. Then loosen the axle (the axle not the tube) by loosening the collar on the left side; and then slide the axle to the right so you can remove the snap ring holding the differential on. Then you remove the diff (watch the axle keys - don't let them fall into the differential - a small rag stuffed into the diff just below the axle tube will help prevent this). Finally, you can pull the axle through the tube and out to the left side, out of the tractor. Now, there are two ways to go about the rest - you can pull the entire transaxle case out and disassemble it on a bench, or you can leave it in the tractor and only remove the right side. I've done it both ways and would probably just pull the right side if doing it again. But - you'll have to remove the Sundstrand pump pulley first (it's in the way of the trans case coming off), and I have not been able to get one of these off with a puller. Suggest you cut it off with a Sawzall. Then pull the right side of the trans case off, remove the old tube, install new tube, and reassemble. The manuals are really good to have though... Some pics of one of mine: [url]http://s302.photobucket.com/albums/nn102/csa_forever_2008/Large%20frame%20axle%20tube%20replacement/[/url]

Much Thanks for the info.Have ordered parts from Jacks.They have all parts in stock save one retainer ring this must be back ordered from simplicity.Hope to have in their warehouse by may 15th,then I can get started on taking gear case apart will try leaving on the tractor.Great Pics.Helps a lot.Once again many thanks.Hope to post again when this job is done.sm01

Removing the set screw and allowing some PB Blaster to do it`s magic works as well. Then I use my air hammer and they usually slide right off.

Wow if you guys have been able to get those pulleys off, that's great. In my experience, over the years the shaft expands so no matter what you cannot remove them. But if the OP can get his off, that's great news.

bummer on the crack tube. after the repair install a 1 5/8 " muffler clamp behind the right hub to prevent future cracking.

Thanks for the help on this post,Iwas able to get the pulley off with wd40 an a hammer with punch.Think this is a great idea on the clamp,do not want to do this again any time soon!Hope this clamp idea helps others to prevent this.sm01