Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
chadinabnit

Bought a Simplicity 725

chadinabnit
Just picked up a 725 and am having problems getting it to start. Appears to have good compression. Getting power to the spark plug good, but just doesn't want to fire. Ordered a carb kit for it. Was wondering what other trouble shooting I should do to make sure everything is working correctly? Thanks for your help.

MysTiK
If you haven't already, you can download a manual for it from www.simpletractors.com IF you know the MFR product number. There's also a x-ref chart on same page which might offer an MFR. There's also some people here with immense knowledge on these units; and far more experience than lil old me. They can be more specific; but a manual will have basic maintenance items, and ops info, etc. You could also Search "725" (or similar) and find tonnage of previous threads. For specifics, just ask - this place is amazing. WELCOME TO THE CLUB. sm03

chadinabnit
Thanks for the responce. I have downloaded the manual already. I am thinking it might be the points/condensor, although I am not certain. This is my first venture into owning a older mower. I knew I had to have it when I saw it. Will hopefully get a picture posted soon of it. Can't wait to get it running and start using it around the house.

CDeHeer
If you have good spark you can rule out the points/condensor. That leaves bad plug or fuel delivery. Sounds like your on the right track with a carb kit. Pour a shot of gas in the chamber and give it a go.

chadinabnit
Thanks. Haven't tried to pour gas into the chamber yet. Might have to give it go to see if the carb is not getting gas to it. I have replaced the plug to make sure it wasn't the problem. Hoping the carb just needs some TLC and nothing else.

CDeHeer
I recently picked up a 725. I got it running with a carb kit/filter. Ran great for a minute before float filled up. Replaced float with a new plastic one and it's been running good since. I forgot to mention I did have to remove and clean the tank, filter screen, sight glass, and Carb again. Hope yours works out as well. Post pics ASAP. My 725

chadinabnit
CDeHeer, What was the part number for the float you got for the carb? I checked the plug today and have a good spark. I am still waiting about my carb kit. Really can't wait until I get it up and running.

CDeHeer
Part #99-333 per manual. My local dealer listed it but had to order. Jacks lists a superceded part # which I wonder if is brass? The plastic is not adjustable and sits high. Working fine but I have not had a real load on it yet.

John_RI
I once picked up a 700 with an original Model 19. I had spark and fuel but it wouldn't fire. Turned out to be a timing issue. I adjusted the armature to the timing mark and it ran fine. Good luck!

chadinabnit
Thanks for everyone's help. Found the part number yesterday. Ordered the float, air filter, and fuel filter. Will have to check the timing on it. I have a good spark just don't think I am getting get fuel flow to it yet.

chadinabnit
Got the 725 running a little on Saturday. Trying to get the carb set now. Ran into another problem though. The wire running between the starter switch and voltage regulator broke. The P/N of this wire is 122047. Am not having any luck finding this available anywhere. Anyone know a way to manufacture my own wire or have replaced this wiring in the past?

chadinabnit
Still not having much luck getting the 725 running. Having the starter/generator tested hopefully today. Battery has been tested good, changed the wire out. Don't know what else could be going on with this thing except the starter. Any suggestions?

CDeHeer
You need to try disconnecting the kill wire from the ignition switch. Mine was bad and it would fire intermittently. One evening it got dark while playing with it and I saw the switch arcing in the "run" position. If I toggled the switch it would run or stall often in oposite positions. I've been using the kill button on the points box until I replaced the switch today. Also did you get a brass or plastic float?

chadinabnit
Starter tested out to be good. Has been cleaned and serviced now. Have to pick it up and reinstall this week. I put a brass float back inside the carb. Having tried disconnecting the kill wire, but will try that.

chadinabnit
Did get some good news yesterday, put the starter back on and turned over instantly. Think I am having float issues still though. Can't seem to get the carb adjusted where it will stay running.

CDeHeer
So the new float #99333 you received was brass? Sounds like it may be a bad solder joint from factory. Pull the float and shake it to see if it may be taking on gas. Might as well hold it under water too check for bubbles while it's out. I did find with a CalRod style heater and a pair of needle nose the plastic floats can be adjusted. I would still pull the kill wire just to rule it out.

chadinabnit
Messed with it again last night. Can get it to spit and sputter but can not get it to idle correctly. Thinking it has to be a fuel issue. Going to take the carb apart again tonight and check everything to make sure I don't have any flow issues. If it doesn't fix it, I am thinking it might be a timing issue.

chadinabnit
Well have cleaned the carb out completely and have tried everything to get it adjusted. I do not know what else to do now. Thinking about getting a new carb to see if that will fix the issue. Just hate spending that much money and don't know if it will fix it.

MysTiK
I don't know that carb but with some newer carbs there's an "initial" setting, where you lightly bottom the low idle and high idle adjustments, and then turn them out from bottom so many turns, (perhaps 1.5 - 2.5 turns) just so you can get running, and then fine tune after that. The spec for that carb might mention that. Perhaps you have already done similar? I didn't hear it mentioned. Fuel flow? disconnect the fuel line above the carb, and see if it runs freely? Is there a fuel shutoff valve? Tank clean? Possible old gas, especially old ethanol gas? Need fresh gas. Fuel filter correct? some offer a lot of restriction. Run a business card or a dollar bill through the points to quick clean them. Assume gap on points and plug ok? Possible plug foul with several failed attempts? just some general thoughts.

chadinabnit
MysTik, Have checked the tank, put new gas in it, and have good fuel flow. Put a new plug in it and have a good spark. Haven't checked the gaps in the points. CDeHeer, Yeah have done the diconnent trick. Even put the old float back inside the carb to see if that would help. I have completely cleaned the carb top to bottom. I can get it to run for a few minutes. It acts to me like it is running to rich because after a few times of it running, I will have to take the spark plug out and clean it. Talking with a friend at work that is a very good mechanic on cars and small engines. He is thinking that maybe the carb is just wore out. He thinks he might have a carb that will fit it and is going to bring it to me to see if that might work. Hoping that is the issue.

chadinabnit
It is carbon coated from running to rich the way it looks. The plug is dry. Picking up the other carb today and also going to check the points. Will see how this goes.