Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler M18 cutting out while mowing

heron

Bummer: Finally got my father in laws Deutz 1918 to him..418 hrs, looks like new. I went thru it, cleaned everything changed all fluids, filters etc...It did not have a gas filter on it so I added one. Today was my father in laws first day of cutting and the motor started cutting out while running. Probably happened after an hour or so(have not talked with him yet just his wife). Air filter brand new, he said it was filled up with dust but I cannot see that causing the issue since he probably only cut for an hour before it started happening. I have not had the time yet to get over there and have a look but what should I look for? Could that motor not have a gas filter from the factory and maybe is restricting it? Could it be a weak fuel pump? Could there be another gas filter/screen in the tank that could be blocked causing a restriction? Plugs are new. The old one's looked fine except worn down. Starts by just tapping the key...? I cut with it originally around my house for probably 20 minutes and it cut/ran great.

My sunstar did the same thing several years ago and it turned out to be one of the three micro switches at the base of the hydro control lever. I bypassed the switch and it has been running sweet since then! Dan

Some gas filters are restrictive - like they are made for more pressure type fuel pump - others are free flow, gravity feed, etc. Sorry I don't know the tek terms for this difference in fuel filters. But I really doubt that's a problem, if the problem appeared after an hour of mow.? (possible) I have seen other threads w problem of the air box jamming up with grass clippings - sorry, I don't know specifics of that either - but solution was about making holes to open up for more air. That's more likely; sorry for sketchy details; never had the problem myself. Someone else might know more. But a new air filter jamming up on first or second mow might be a strong hint. (probable) My switch from E10 to premium gas was also triggered by symptoms that occurred after an hour of mowing. It didn't cut out completely, just sputtered a bit, and kinda pinged a bit, maybe blowing carbon, slight smoke only visible in the right light, maybe heat related also. I thought it was gonna blow. Premium gas no problems since. bunch of thoughts - more detail required.

This is the seaon for dandelions the fluffy seeds clog up filters and radiator screens (on a diesel Leg) very fast make sure you clean the foam around the filter.

9 out of 10 it is fuel problem. Here is what I look for and some tuff things I had to find in the past. I pull the line from the fuel pump and turn engine over. Pumping fuel go to carb. No fuel or little move to fuel filter. There may be one in the tank . Look for water . Gas cap may not be venting the tank . Check fuel fittings for junk in them. Bad fuel pump ? Electrical : It may be the circuit breaker terminals are corroded or broken under the insulation. Has he placed more padding on the seat? Then it may not be compressing the seat switch or just bad switch. See what you find.

Okay, got over there and it turns out the air filter was totally plugged up. Brand new pre filter and it was jammed with debris. It has been VERY dry here in the Southeast and I guess he was mowing back by his garden and it just was too much. The mower seriously only clocked about 2 hours since I replaced and oiled the filterOO. I'd rather see it do that then go into the motor but it's a bit disappointing I think to him since his MTD yardman that he bought for $900 and just sold for $200 never did that. It cut like garbage but I cannot believe on a tractor of that caliber the engineers didn't figure out some other way to direct the air. Sure enough, cleaned up the prefilter, re-oiled and it was up and running good again. BTW: I never run Ethanol fuel in any small engine and recommended to my father in law to do the same with this tractor since the motor is from 1989. It's a bear and I think runs and cuts better than my 97 Sunstar with the 20 Command.

Glad you found the problem. If all it requires is clean the air filter - no biggy. I have been told that the prefilter, esp. an oiled prefilter, is not required except in really dusty conditions, and they tend to trap and pack dust due to the oil. Perhaps a dry prefilter would be better? I use no prefilter, just the basic donut air filter itself, -more- (kinda maybe) 8) There was (some kind of fix) for (some kind of grass clipping debris) problem also. Can't recall who or what or where it was - maybe someone knows???? It involved complaints about cut grass escaping under the lower front edges of the deck. I think it was about a mod on the air box, something about more holes, or different location of holes, or something,? - to deal with "excess debris" buildup (caused by deck spew and debris getting sucked in). It never really made much sense to me at the time; and I never had the problem. If I recall any of this correctly, it was relevant to newer Sovereigns, like 1990's machines. Maybe this is irrelevant - I'm just throwing this out there cos it might "clang some bells" for someone else. or it may be just total bs. 8)or it might help. 8) or not. ? I think I like the simple "clean the filter" approach. sm01

The dry element is a good idea. I hope we get some rain soon so that will not be an issue anymore. I'll look around for the mods. Thanks for all the input fellas!