Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Whats up with Simplicity Mower adj???

MPH

Was to a Case guy's house the other day, he mows with a 446 Case. His lawn looked awsome, asked how that could be without using a Simplicity. He said the key was to have the deck perfectly level?.?. I said that Simplicity wants 1/2 inch higher in front and he said ?.?.

I don't know the "engineering" behind it, but Simplicity has always had the reputation as the "best cut" in the business... One thing that seems to make sense is that if the "final cut" is done on the back tip of the blade, instead of the front tip, then the anti-scalp rollers at the back would seem to work much better. The anti-scalp roller in within 3" to 4" of the cutting edge.

Well, I'm not sure, but the front a bit higher than the back makes sense to me - sort of a gradual cut - I don't know. I did dig up a page that looks like a dealer instruction (came with my 725 purchase) and it will only add to the confusion. It covers 32" & 42" Rotary Mowers, mfg#s: 990190, 990207 & 990153 as well as 24" Rotary Mowers, mfg#s: 990122 & 990236. It reads: "For proper grass cutting, the 32" & 42" Rotary Mowers must be set so that the front of the mower is approximately 3/8" to ½" higher than the rear." But then for the 24" units the instructions are the opposite: "For correct operation of the 24" Rotary Mower the mower must be set so that the rear of the mower is approximately 1/4" higher than the front. In both cases, measurements are to be taken from the blades to a flat surface. I don't know how it can be both ways. John(ri)

Talkin with my bro today who has had some form of garden tractor since early 70's, of several brands, almost lost it when I told him of the adjusting guideline of this mower I'm so proud of. He said havein the front set 1/2in higher than the back is all a--backwards, never heard of such a thing except some buddy had a jd that couldn't pull itself in the grass. he readjusted it so front end was about 1/8 in lower than back and it mowed like he put a turbo on it, logic being with the back lower,your mowing the grass twice. Sure would like so feedback on the Simplicty secret logic cuz I was mowing off about 4inches of wet clover and the governor didn't hardly open up, know they got some simple logic here..MPH

Here's a different twist on the subject. Could it be the adjustment is more critical because of the anti-scalp feature of a Simplicity deck? Bringing the front end slightly higher changes the "angle of attack" allowing the deck the ability to run through dips, and over imperfections without "hooking" on the front end. I have a buddy of mine who did not adjust his Simp properly, and had this exact problem. Hey, just a thought. My 3 cents (Canadian) worth, or about 2 cents U.S. GordU