Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

K321 on an Agco Allis 918H (aka: Sovereign)

leeave96

I've now have got a line on a 14hp Kohler K321 engine for cheap. The 16 hp engine I found was for a Cub Cadet with no external mounting tabs. It was a K341AQS. The engine I'm looking at now is a K321, it is 14hp, I think it is a 321AQ as it has both mounting tabs outboard to the engine and is tapped for oil pan mounting - not unlike the Cub Cadet application. I'm 95% sure this engine came off a John Deere, which would make sense from the external mtg tabs and oil pan arrangement. It also has provisions on the flywheel to mount a driveshaft. Question is - will this bolt-up in place of the Kohler Command CH18 I have on my 918H? Again, this is a band-aid fix until I can get a new Command or find a decent used one. Price on the K321 is $80. My question is - will this engine swap into my Agco Allis 918H (aka: Sovereign) in place of the original Kohler Command CH18? What would be involved in this change over? Thanks!!! Bill

I am not sure that you have the correct oil pan? If so, there may be an issue with the driveshaft length. Other than that, K321's were used in that series of Sovereigns as were K301's KT series, Briggs 16 horse, and even Kohler 16's I believe. Briggs engines used a different ignition system. I am not sure of the electrical and ignition system from the Command to the K321. Others can pipe in on that.

OK - I bought the K321 (and the K341), the price was to low to pass-up. Using my tractor logic, if they won't work on the Agco, surely there is another color tractor I could buy to use them in... :D Now I got to figure out if the K321 will work. I also have someone interested in my 918H as is - I may let this one go and try again with another Simplicity, we'll see. If I can make the K321 work, I'd like to go that route for now. Thanks, Bill

If it has the oil pan in the link below it will work. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Allis-Chalmers-310D-Tractor-Kohler-K241-10HP-Engine-Oil-Pan-/190621717414?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c61f093a6 http://www.ebay.com/itm/SIMPLICITY-KOHLER-K321-14-HP-ENGINE-REMANUFACTURED-/350561142865?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item519f128851

The K321 does not have the flat oil pan. It appears this engine came from a John Deere tractor. Question is - is the deep/flat oil pan more for getting the engine height centered with the drive shaft going to the tranny? If so, I might be able to, for lack of a better word, block/shim the difference. Or - can I simply put the correct oil pan on the engine and be good to go? Thanks, Bill

I believe the oil pan you need has the drain out the bottom. I likely have a few laying out in the shop. PM me if you need one.

Update: Picked up an oil pan for my K321 from Mack (thanks Mack!) while returning from a business trip this weekend. I took the old pan off the engine and the new to me oil pan screw right on - yippie! Thanks, Bill

You're very welcome Bill, and it was a pleasure to meet you! Ya know, we always like to see pictures of tractors. So feel free to post a few. Even those horsey ones you were telling me about, as I know there are a few WH fans here.

Mack - I noticed you have a nice inventory of snow removal equipment for your A/C tractors. Here is a pic of a horse in my fleet doing a little work. Hopefully my 918H will be going strong sooner than later. Thanks again! Bill

quote:
Originally posted by 1Litre
Was that deere pan stamped steel? What about dipstick length?
The old pan was aluminum. The one I got from Mack is steel/cast iron. I haven't got to the dipstick yet - other than to think that so long as I maintain the oil per the old dipstick, I should be good to go. The deep oil pan I am putting on would only add oil capacity below/beyond the original pan and I'm not sure, but I think the dip stick may already dip into the sump of the original pan - which would be perfect. Thanks, Bill

OK Some of the deere had wide blocks but a narrow block oil pan pattern with a deep stamped steel pan. Then they used the wide bolt pattern for mounting the engine. If that is what you had then the dipstick would be a problem. You should be OK.

Hi, Be sure you have the correct connecting rod that goes with the pan you are using. There are long dipper rods, and short dipper rods. Particularly if you have an A block. Al Eden