Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
huffy

Morels popping

huffy
I stumbled upon these yesterday while I was trimming some trees in the woods behind my house. Ended up finding about 3x what's shown in the pics. I don't like mushrooms, so I ended up trading them to my neighbor for one of her homemade black raspberry pies. I know there's more back there, so I'm gonna try to find another load this afternoon and see if I can trade them to another neighbor for a jug of the maple syrup he made this winter.

Talntedmrgreen
Lucky dog...they are all but done down here. It's just too warm now. You have some nice looking 'whites' there dOd This weekend I went as far north as Big Rapids, and not a single sighting, despite the warmer nights and recent rain. Last weekend it was very dry, but we still managed about 400 between Baldwin and Cadillac (all blacks). My co-worker was up at his in-laws near Fife Lake yesterda, and they carried sacks full of them out of the woods every hour or so. He says it was their best outing ever. I do love them, but would probably take the pie if given the choice;)

huffy
The funny thing is that I know a lot of people that constantly go out hunting for them and have trouble finding them. I don't like them, and thus never look for them, but somehow manage to find them everywhere. Heck, I was out fishing on Saturday morning and when I was leaving the river and walking back to my truck I saw some growing right by the side of the road. I let the guy that I was fishing with take those, though.

huffy
Josh: If you like trout, make your way up to TC about the last weekend in June/first week of July when the hex are hatching. I got somethin' to show ya. Or if you're more of a boat man, stop by my place on Lake Charlevoix 'bout mid August and we can slam some salmon.

Talntedmrgreen
Chris, I'm thinking two trips are in order =] We were planning on Torch in August, but with the lil one on the way, vacation plans have more or less been put on hold this summer. I've done a LOT of fishing over the years, but trout and salmon are about the only thing I haven't tried. Mostly inland lake stuff, and down here we just don't have them in the lakes. I've never even tasted trout. That amazes me, but I just don't know anyone who shares ;)

bowhunt4life
I found 75 around two trees two weeks ago. My brother inlaw went back a week later and picked 5 pounds worth. I haven't looked in a while but they sure saute up nice in butter.

YellowB10
Nice find...here in south central WI, i think they are just about done for the year...have found a few yellows the past week...Time to move on to looking for the other wonderfully tastey fungus!

Talntedmrgreen
quote:
Originally posted by YellowB10
Nice find...here in south central WI, i think they are just about done for the year...have found a few yellows the past week...Time to move on to looking for the other wonderfully tastey fungus!
What else do you search for? I found a boat load of fresh Oysters yesterday when taking a last peek at one of my morel spots near the house.

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Today's Birthdays

1. davidmoll
      davidmoll
      (61 years old)
    2. Mikethemasher
      Mikethemasher
      (50 years old)
  • Recent Status Updates

• SonOfCreepfeed

SonOfCreepfeed

Thinkin' about this old girl.

· 1 reply
    • Dean McFadden

Dean McFadden

Good morning peeps! I’m always searching for helpful information with my AC collection. Hope to find out new information and pass on my own experience in restoration. Here are some pics of my babies. I’m still looking for front rims for the 410 so yesterday I put the 310 wheels on took it for a drive. Working pretty good but still needs some carb work. Gotta get the 310 running next. Have a great day!😁

· 1 reply
  • Adverts