Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Value of a B10

phillobbezoo

Saturday i was at local business and seen a hood to a b10 and asked about the rest of the tractor. I was told it was for sale and came with a sickle mower and belly mower. Every thing was in good shape but the only problem was it ran but not very good they thought it was the rod that ran off the cam that ran the points. They figured it was either the cam or the rod need to be replaced. Does this seem right? I know my way around the powermax's really good but am a novice to these smaller tractors. The owner said give me 300 and you can take it home what do you guys think is it worth it or not. I have no idea. Also what about parts for the cast iron briggs motors are they availible or is it going to be hard to find parts? Any advice would be appretiated thanks phil

I would guess its probably a decent deal if you can get a motor for it without too much touble... what is the condition of the chassis, sickle, and deck?

Mower deck and sickle are worth about the asking price IMO and if the rest of the tractor is in good condition all the better. I have not tried to buy a points plunger, but have never had an issue with one though I should think that there are those that have had a plunger wear. Good luck!

I have sold sickle mowers for $350.00 so I would say yes. It doesn`t hurt to try to get it cheaper. You can eliminate the points with either a Stens Mega Fire II or a Nova II electronic ignition module. Then you don`t have to mess with that points plunger.

I would say its at least fair it looked like maybe it had an older restore if it was original I would be surprized. Over all it looked to be in good shape, no broken knifes on the sickle bar and the deck look straight and turned free. What does the electronic ignition go for? It would sit around for awhile before i could do much with it, still tryin to get my 4040 done but if u guys think the price is fair Saturday I'm Gunna stop back by and see about picking it up. Thanks again Phil

$300 sounds like your going to steal it!!!!! if i was closer id jump on it. i see those briggs for sale often they were used in a wide array. of applications. keep us posted please. :)

Yeah, you'll either need to pick that up and report back or provide an address ;) Middleville's on my way home from work!

quote:
Originally posted by Talntedmrgreen
Yeah, you'll either need to pick that up and report back or provide an address ;) Middleville's on my way home from work!
I thought your wife told you to start cutting back??? If you're simply saying you're gonna pick it up on your way home from work and hold onto it for me until I can get down there to retrieve it, though, that's nice of you. :D Phillobbezoo - that sounds like a good price to me. Like Ray said, the sickle mower attachments alone can bring as much or more than he's asking.

Actually that is what my wife said. She thinks the 2 powermaxs is enough but I told her building a barn means I have to fill it with something, and the other 2 ant enough. Then I tried the line but this one could be for you, her response was the rolling of the eyes. Any way I think saturday I will get unless I find another powermax between now and then, doubtful but maybe . Any way if for some reason I don't I will let you guys know. Thanks again Phil