Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

37 degree JIC Hydraulic tubing

SmilinSam

The type used on Lawn & garden tractors of all brands.. I dont suppose they make a flaring tool that works on this 3/8" tubing??? Would be nice to be able to cut to size and flare a new end, but it appears to me that this is an operation that only hydraulic shops are set up to do?

I've never heard of one Sam. I worked in 2 different shops that had their own machine, a farm and a factory, they were both air over hydraulic and not cheap. they were for putting the hoses together. Both shops bought the fittings pre made. The farm was big enough, if there was such a tool, they would have had it, for repairs in the field.

I have had lines made for custom machines here at work. Some of the mobile hydraulic repair trucks have the capability to make steel lines. They should be able to let you cut the line, and then take it in to have nut, and flare put on.

Sam, Looks like the one I have used for copper. Says for soft Steel. Depending on your line hardness ? Not sure about the JIC though. Some refs I saw list this style as JIC also. [url]http://www.amazon.com/Great-Neck-25929-Degree-Flaring/dp/B004FEJF2Q/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_1[/url]

Gregg, that looks like a set for standard brake lines. I had no idea brake line was 37 degree. If that is the case, I see no reason Sam couldn't do his own.

Low pressure the standard soft steel line flaring tool will work as long as it's double flared. However a JIC nut must be used. For field repair, or home crafting, you can cut the line and braze the correct fitting onto the line. They make the proper nuts and ferrels to braze on and this is very neat and looks and works great.

quote:
Originally posted by D-17_Dave
Low pressure the standard soft steel line flaring tool will work as long as it's double flared. However a JIC nut must be used. For field repair, or home crafting, you can cut the line and braze the correct fitting onto the line. They make the proper nuts and ferrels to braze on and this is very neat and looks and works great.
That's what is missing in the above kit. That is a single flare kit and does not have the double flare ferrules.

Looks like It can be done either way, depending on the tubing wall thickness. They also make O-ring sealed JIC (Joint Industry Council)fittings.
[img]/club2/attach/GregB/SAEJ514page4.jpg[/img]
I can point you to the site where I downloaded the info, or large Pdf.

Here is the double flair kit; http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-6490-Double-Flaring-10-Piece/dp/B000NPPBUG/ref=pd_cp_hi_2

I was under the impression that brake lines and brake line flaring kits are 45 degrees, not 37 degrees .?. At least thats what the brake line flaring kits I was looking at the other night were saying they were.

It seems to me that the tools both look the same, use the same "technology". The difference is in the included angle 90° for brake lines or 74° for the JIC fittings. Visually they are different if you look at the "anvil" on the screw shaft. The mating pocket on the die clamp is different but a little tougher to tell the diff. I have a set because my grandfather used to do furnace installs on the side, plumbing, and anything else when he got home from the steel mill machinist job.

quote:
Originally posted by D-17_Dave
I want to just cut my longer lines, and re-use the sleeves and nuts with the new flares on the shorter lines. Some of these garden tractor steel hydraulic lines have a double flare, and others I see have just a single flare. Are the respective nuts different? Using some of the links you guys posted I have found several brands of 37 degree flare tools for both single and double flares. Prices range from $15 to $300...