Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

simple-kid

Carb Issue

simple-kid
I'm still having problems with my 7012 LL. I opened up the carb again to clean it better and after I put it back on I tried starting it to see if that helped. It only made it worse, now it only runs for a few seconds until I try to rev it up and then it diest. Could anyone help me? Thanks

ssmewing
There are several small passages that must be clear. When I am cleaning and I don't have a parts cleaner, I use the tube on can of carb cleaner. You have to take it all apart. Start by spraying into the fuel inlet. In the carb bore you will see very little holes they lead straight line to were the fuel or air is to move. The spray needs to flow through these. Don't forget the screw in the pick-up tube. If you refer to the parts diagram you will see all the parts that are able to come out. Some build up is to tough for cleaner and you need to find tiny wires to clear them. Once you can actually get it to run I have used Sea Foam additive for many engines and it has given me the best results of all the ones I have tried. To get it to do its thing the negine has to run for awile 5-10 minutes. Let it sit for a day remember its still in there working. I have had time that when I did this I had to disassemble the carb and clean again because it plugged from al the gunk it got I did not see.

MysTiK
http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/index.htm Hey simple-kid, You can get lost in some of the info in this link. It's not all about normal info, for sure, some is about pulling, but I find it kinda edgyKationelle, and just plain interesting. Might find some tips to enhance understanding in general - it did for me. But you are farther into it than me already. I have yet to pull a carb off - not just scared, it's about time, and needing the mower. Anyway, it might help a bit w some fine points, ideas, etc. Also information overload. 8D I spent half a day there once - had to eat finally. I think ssmewing is steering you on the right track also.

huffy
quote:
Originally posted by simple-kid
I opened up the carb again to clean it . . . It only made it worse . . . .
I have exactly this same problem everytime I try to fix anything. :D The last time I took a carb apart to try and clean it, I didn't get a gasket perfectly aligned when I was putting it back together. It couldn't have been off but like 1/100th of an inch or so, but it blocked off a teeny weeny hole and screwed up the air flow. It took me quite a while to figure out what I'd done wrong.

ssmewing
Hate to break it to you all on the starting edge of the learning curve but you learn much more from your mistakes. If you don't try you guarantee you will not get better/smarter. Read my signature line. Each set of pistons was a few hundred dollars.

huffy
quote:
Originally posted by ssmewing
you learn much more from your mistakes
I definitely agree with you. But, I'm sure you'd also agree with me that just because you learn from a mistake doesn't mean making the mistakes isn't frustrating - especially when you make as many mistakes as I do. sm00

MysTiK
I learned a lot about decks by nearly destroying mine. I abandoned it. I think about returning to it. The BFH caused damage to the ends of the shafts; but I was able to fake-fab a quasi-repair on most of that. Time away from it (recovery from the ordeal), and helping others w their decks, has helped the process also. Maybe now I could make it happen. In the meantime, my parts tractor made the appropriate contribution - so I have lots of parts if needed. But to resurrect the old one, if I can still use the shafts I hacked, only needs bearings and housings. One shaft has slightly mangled splined ends, due to a slight oversight. That was when I quit. Not sure if that's fixable. The oversight was due to assumed confidence - or a desire for that. 8)

JimH
I use the same tool set. Plus I blow all the passages out with an air hose. I also like to set the float level a little less than the spec to prevent seeping.
quote:
Originally posted by Dark
One tool I use a lot for carbs is a torch head cleaner it opens up the small ports and verifies that they are open many a passage has been opened using the tool.

ssmewing
quote:
Originally posted by Dark
One tool I use a lot for carbs is a torch head cleaner it opens up the small ports and verifies that they are open many a passage has been opened using the tool.
I found that tool only about 2 years ago and it is great for that. They are not that expensive also.

ssmewing
My biggest mistake was very expensive. I was installing a lift kit on a Ford Excursion by myself (bad idea 1) very heavey parts to position by yourself. I worked on it wel into the night (mistake 2). Tired minds are not sharp minds. That night I decided to take it for a ride (mistake 3). Short time into my ride a horrible vibration set in. Tranny fluid was just pouring out. In my work that was not double checked in day light (mistake 4) I put the rear lifts blocks in wrong. The drive shaft was not far enough on the splined shaft and because of that the shaft wobbled so bad that I broke the transmission case. $1,300 to have the tranny re-cased.