Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Potential Purchase HB212

Steve72

Looking at this 1970 HB for sale. $1,225. Different engine (12 HP cast iron Briggs (Syncro-Balanced) or whatever that means. Owner says "very nice allis chalmers 12 hp cast iron briggs and stratton engine- rebuilt. 48" mower deck-rebuilt. hydrostatic drive. manual lift. all new: blades, belts, deck bearings, idler pulleys, fuel gauge, fuel line and filter, fluids, seat upholstered, front tires, wheel bearings, hydro control linkage rebuilt. sandblasted, automotive primer and paint with hardner. new custom decals. very strong hydro. ready to mow or show". Says sheet metal is good no dents or dings. Owner rebuit himself and has more than that in it---selling tractors to make room for new hobbies. Sounds like a good deal to me...which is why I worry. Thoughts?

At that price, at least for me ^, it does not fall into the to good to be true category. (I'm cheap and looks? well I say that all mine are workers :D) All the hard work seems to be done. Does the vickers leak at all around the pintle shaft? It is not low cost, but if it fits your budget all the work seems to be done. It has lasted this long, probably last quite a few more years. Compare that price to a new big box mower. Go look, can't hurt can it?

That looks like a very nice unit. Two things I see with it are that it's a manual lift and there are no headlights, while neither of those things would make it a no sale, Imo if your going to spend that kind of cash it ought to have the bells and whistles too! I'm sure you've heard that the vickers hydro can be a leaker if the pintle shaft has worn the housing bore, so that's something to watch for when it comes to the vickers. As for the syncro-balanced 12hp B&S engine, I think it's one of the smoothest single cylinder Briggs engines! It's crankshaft has 2 counter balance weights, one on each end of the crank as oppposed to the single counter balance used on later models. For me that price is a little on the high end but not by too much if it is as nice as it looks and operates as it should. Just my 2c value accordingly.

quote:
Originally posted by Steve72
Different engine (12 HP cast iron Briggs (Syncro-Balanced) or whatever that means.
Steve: Here is Simplicity's explanation of "Syncro-Balanced": http://www.simpletractors.com/simplicity/1967_2012/all_new_engine.htm My Landlord 2012 has the same engine in it. It's definitely got plenty of power.

Nice tractor. You probably can't rebuild one for that price if your labor counts for something. Are there any additional attachments included with it? Or spare parts? Does it leak any fluids at all?If its reasonably close to you, it can't hurt to take a look at it and think about it. See what similar tractors are selling for (not asking price) and make an offer accordingly. If its as it sits with no other "extras", it seems like top dollar to me. It can't hurt to make an offer, and if he doesn't take it, your no worse off than before. Good luck with your decision and let us know if you get it!

Looks like a nice machine. Like the others have said, it's at the very top of the price range. Always offer less.....

Good points all---and I will dig a little deeper. I figured I would spend 4 to 500 for a beat up HB then at least another 500 to 700 by the time I get through a restore not including my time---which the older I get--the more picky I'm becoming. This AC would go to my other daughter Mandy who I'm sure will be hitting me up for an AC like her older sister TractorChick has---and is loving using it. Hoping it would save me time and maybe money if I could just drive this off the trailor and ready for her to use---and not be ashamed to park beside her sisters B10! I'm really in the mood to restore some attachments Ive been picking up from Larry (AC B-1Novice--thanks Larry!!) vs. another tractor right now---so I guess I just answered my own question! Thanks guys!! I'll let you know!

The deck looks better than new. The Hydro lever is not original. It is missing the release lever and the locking guide that rides on the quadrant. (Maybe he put a friction plate in someplace to hold the lever in position). I have the locking guide removed from my HB212 also, it allows full speed in reverse, and smoother tansitions from forward to reverse.

It's a pretty picture. But it doesn't get me all hot and bothered. I noticed what ReedS said about the lights especially. Sounds like a good resto, lots of detail. For the price, I would want to see those old bug-eye lights - that's the image. Those light kits are $$$ pricey. And it needs a plow so Mandy can break it just like her sister did. 8) But what really is exciting is the possibility of sounds like "TractorChic II" or like that, or maybe a more original name. sm01 I dunno Steve - it's worth what you are willing to pay. You know lots about these units, and you know the work involved. I just don't get the right feelings on this one. It's not "talking" to me, that's for sure. I see another one on the horizon, Steve; and I think you will see it's the right one. My tractor says this one seems a little antisocial. He kinda gives a sideways look, turns away, and wants nothing more to do with it. He's not usually like that. He's pretty much in the know. I listen to him. Best I got to offer you. Good to hear from you. sm03

lights, hydraulic lift, attachments...still a lot of coin for one without that...i have seen them for less than half that in real good shape..if u hold out u may too!:D

Steve, if that's the machine and seller I think it is (south central MI), he's been doing Wheel Horses and other brands for a long time (and that tractor has been for sale a long time). I've always heard he does a nice job. That being said, I couldn't spend it...I'd love an HB, and my 3212H is my favorite worker, but I'd need more to sweeten the deal. I don't think he's a Simplicity guy, so he probably doesn't have any other attachments laying around, but it's worth asking. If he's gettin out of it, he needs it gone, and sounds like he's trying to get the $$ he's got in it, back out.

Look's like a nice clean tractor. You will probably want to ad hydro lift at some point. That will cost you $250-$300. Like the others said check for hydro leaks etc. Good luck!

Wow---you guys don't miss a thing! Mike--you eagle eye---can't believe you noticed the lever lock missing---even after blowing it up!! The owner told me it was missing--but said it still functions OK..mine always sticks. Mystik---I hear you--maybe because someone else brought her back to life--but little things bug me---like the HB212 decal that is the wrong color yellow---and the missing steering wheel cap and decal---and I know I'd miss the lift---guess I should put more stock into the clairvoyant capabilities of a tractor. Josh--your right on. Good to hear his rep for restores is OK---but as much as you love HB's---and you think it's too high---is enough to make me pause...Mandy might have to wait a bit for one that has better vibes...