Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Bell

leaking bevel gear box.

Bell
So I'm new to this. I got an ac712h that was in pretty rough shape. I've got engine limping along so I can mow until this winter when I can rebuild it. Well its been sitting for a few days an I noticed some fluid under the transmision. Of course I thought oh no the transmissions going out but on examining it appears to be coming from around the transmission side pulley on the right side of the B running down the frame. Long story short I don't have the time or money to tear the whole tractor apart this summer as I have two acres two mow. What do you think is going on? Is tere a possible easy fix? Can I just keep adding oil until this winter or am I up that feared smelly creek? What am I in for? Thanks!

ReedS
As long as the gear box is tight you could limp along by topping off the fluid level. If worse came to worse the seal can be changed in the tractor but you will have to remove the right side plate to remove the seal.

BruceH
Just finished this very thing tonight on an AC 917. Took 2 -3 hours after I figured out how the side plate come off. There's a great post here: http://simpletractors.com/Club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=112066 The pic in the posting shows exactly where the bolts are located that have to be removed to get the side plate off. The tranny drive pulley came right off the bevelgear box shaft without any excessive coaxing. After that was off the bolts came out and the side plate came out. Removed the shim and drilled a small hole in the old seal and inserted a sheet metal screw to pry it out. Seated the new seal and reversed the disassembly process and it was over. It's definitely doable - good luck

MysTiK
Standard fluid = 80w90 Gear Oil. Topping it up will probably get you through. Check level by unscrew plug, rest plug on edge of hole, read level on dipstick. As long as belt from the leaking "BGB" to the "rear trans pump pulley" doesn't get oiled and start slipping, should work. In the meantime, you could consider getting a seal installed for you - just another option. If there is other trouble with the BGB itself (excess play), it might eventually fail. If it fails, a used replacement is cheaper than all new parts. Some more experienced people can advise further. Do you have manuals for tractor? Welcome to the club.