Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

cheken

Simplicity Sunstar Kohler Command 18

cheken
OK so I have read all about the stalling problem(s) when this tractor get hot. Still navigating the solution but will be trying premium fuel next. I have recently discovered that I have a pressurized crankcase. By removing the fill screw cap (whilst running) I was nearly showered with oil. I am hoping that someone on the forum will tell me that this has a pressurized crankcase.?. I am fearful however to learn that the pressure is coming a result of blow-by from the cylinder/rings. The machine actually runs fairly well and a re-power will hurt badly. I have already switched out the crankcase breather valve. Ideas? Thank you. KC

MysTiK
Good ideas with the breather and the premium fuel. The breather prevents excess pressure in crankcase. Bad breather can cause engine gasket leakage, misting, visible on engine often. Removing dipstick or 'add oil cap' etc is not a good idea, as you already know. I have a Walkbehind Hydro that gets its oil cap unscrewed by low flying shrubs occasionally - it doesn't take long to blow oil all over the place. You know that. go to Kohler website - they have free manuals. If you think you have a slight fuel problem, and can avoid carb cleaning, "Seafoam" in the gas tank might be helpful. (a mechanic in a can solution) Manual for tractor or engine should have illustrated instrux on how to set carb low idle and hispeed idle screws - this adjust "rich or lean" symptoms - ovheat can be caused by "lean" mixture. But "apparent lean" can be a function of other things, like carb, fuel starvation, fuel line, fuel pump, 'ethanol goo', etc. Keep it simple; do one thing at a time if possible; study any changes before trying another solution. Too many changes at once, can hide the original problem, and spoil the soup. 8)

BLT
Do you have the air intake plenum installed.
[img]/club2/attach/RayS/SSPlenum1.jpg[/img]
And is it properly installed? Last fall my son removed mine and didn't tell me. I was cutting grass with Cleanbee that after noon and the engine got so hot that you could hear the oil boil in the cranckcase. (OOPS!! Somebody better tell the Administrator to do a better job of sizing pictures.:D:D:D)

cheken
BLT Sir, Given that I do not recognize this very large :D image, I will have to say I do not have it.?. Where does this item install? between the carb and the block? I will be checking the proper installation of the crankcase breather because I did not have this problem last fall before I replace it with new. A clue? I will do my due diligence using Kohler's online resources but any additional info would be welcomed. Thank you for your response. KC

WITom
That image is of an intake air plenum. It is a large plastic unit that fits on top of the tin box where the engine draws all of its cooling air. It would be right below the screened vents in the hood of the tractor and above the battery. If you can see the battery, you don't have it - but need it. Without this plenum, the engine draws hot air from the engine compartment.

cheken
Thank you to all. I can confirm that there is NO intake air plenum. I do understand the importance and it is unfortunate that this tractor did not come with one. That said, I am clearly at the risk of premature aging. Already at about 1300 Hrs. I did switch to premium fuel and this has help to keep fuel in the carb (does not boil out). I will keep to a regimen of regular oil changes and perhaps switch to Amsoil synthetic. In the interim, I will be looking for either a new plenum or a re-power in my future