Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
clkmorgan

new owner with question

clkmorgan
I just purchased a 48" simplicity front cut model 1691663, are there any travel speed adjustments on this unit? it works great but moves forward at a comparative snails pace. I was wondering if something was wrong or out of adjustment?

clkmorgan
BY the way its not slipping when you let the clutch out or anything and mows great, it just seems too slow at its highest speed setting. about half or less than what a regular mower would do

MysTiK
Welcome to the club. Sounds not right. Goto this link: http://www.simpletractors.com/ Then insert 1691663, in the box on the left, which will get you a list of manuals. free. from Briggs Manuals site. Hydro trans. The lever should offer infinite range of speed controls from crawl to fullspeed. Speed specs, etc. in manual. = See manual to check trans fluid, link adjustments. It's possible the shift lever itself has an issue with worn bushings. Or linkage not set right. More info required. Sounds? Forward? Reverse? What does "comparitive" snails pace mean? Is it moving at all? Should go approx 5-8 mph roughly. Any fluid leakage? Look under trans. Hydros can require a minimum rpm to operate properly. Do not operate at idle speed. Approx 1/4 throttle should get it going. Full throttle for top speed. = I don't know if I would operate it at all without checking manual re fluids and adjustments FIRST. I like those FC tractors. They are pretty rare by me. Saw one a year ago for 1200-1400. Is that one a 16hp? It should be with the 48 deck. check it over first - let us know what you can report. = also check "brake" foot control - if it's like mine, it's possible the foot pedal can stick - and that stops the hydro from spinning - hence no gogo. It's recommended that the brake not be used in normal ops, because the hydro is disengaged, then re-engaged when brake releases. This tends to slam the hydro around - not good. read manual first. Was it working when you bought it? more info required. I just downloaded your Manual. Is yours an Agco Allis? 1691663 is the MFR for the 48 deck. Tractor MFR is 1692375. (manufacturer's number= MFR) EDIT = just saw your 2nd post. Sounds like it's working. I don't understand what a "regular mower" is either, or what you are used to. Anyway, manual might be helpful to you. EDIT2 - It seems both AgcoAllis and Simplicity made this tractor. with the same MFR numbers. manual shows Agco on front page, then Simp on page 3. I love a good mystery. :D